Premed 101 Forums

I would love to see some transcripts from current med students

The average GPA at UofT for this fall's frosh was 3.87...that's close to an A.

So they're telling me that all these genius doctors have at least straight A- throughout the entire undergrad. I would love to see a copy of these kids' transcripts. I bet they took all the bird courses at their schools to do that.

So they're telling me that all these genius doctors have at least straight A- throughout the entire undergrad. I would love to see a copy of these kids' transcripts. I bet they took all the bird courses at their schools to do that.

i believe this number factors in the weighted GPA applicable to some students as well. so perhaps there were some ppl with a C+ in there somewhere, but it was excluded.

Hi there,

The average GPA at UofT for this fall's frosh was 3.87...that's close to an A. So they're telling me that all these genius doctors have at least straight A- throughout the entire undergrad. I would love to see a copy of these kids' transcripts. I bet they took all the bird courses at their schools to do that.

Don't forget, this is an average. That means that 3.87 is the middle point on the range of marks of the students accepted to UofT. There could be students then, that have 4.00 or likewise, 3.74 who were successful at gaining entry to UofT. Without knowing the standard deviation, you can't surmise that all students achieved straight As, and chances are that some probably didn't.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Also keep in mind that this is almost certainly the weighted admissions GPA. So for most people, this means three years of undergrad (since they are applying in their fourth year) and their lowest three full courses dropped. There are tons of people out there (who take hard courses) who can get at least an A in all their courses when you pull out their bottom six half-courses.

Damn, well aren't u cynical.

I know a dozen or so students who got into UofT over the years...all had 3.90 GPA undergrads or higher without weighting and no bird courses.

I am not saying that every kid that gets into UofT has those stats....but don't go assuming that no one can get those marks just because you can't.

Hell, I know one person who had a perfect 4.00 through the first 3 yrs of undergrad and didn't get into UofT. By the way, she had no bird courses either...didn't even take a single first year course past 1st year.

There are plenty of people who get those marks and don't even go to med school. Someone has to get those high marks in ur classes...or did u think those kind of marks were just folklore.

I know someone who practically skipped all of first-year using his IB/AP credits, took a double honours degree with a minor, maintained an A+ average throughout, and finished in four-years (this is out west where there is no grade 13). His "bird" courses would include second-year organic (CHEM) and third-year probability (MATH). He was also highly involved in school and volunteer activities including executive positions in a variety of organizations. In the end, he decided to turn down medical schools for grad school because he was more interested in the latter at the time. Since he was 20 at the time, he wanted to do some research, although he was still interested in going to medical school in the future.

I think we should appreciate/admire people who are talented. It would make you happier than being cynical.

I am from a school in the West. I took a bird course in first year, however, didn't know it was. Since then, my bird courses have been Calc 2, Statistics, and right now, probably Cell and Membrane Biochemistry. These are all requirements though, so I don't know if that qualifies. At my school, the way we number classes is messed. We have TONS of 100-level courses and TONS of 200-level courses so it makes it look like you took a bunch of easy courses in your later years. To get to the point, I am applying to UofT this year with a 3.93 overall, I won't get the weighting formula because I am a 3rd-year student. But I can say it is definitely possible to get straight A/A+ w/o ever conciously taking a notoriously easy course. I'm sure most of the people that do get into med. did well in the courses we all dread-Organic chem, Biochem, and whatever else.

Archived