Premed 101 Forums

international student

Kims

Hi, everyone.

Im newbie at this forum. But i have been research u of t for a long time.

how many international student studying at u of t dentistry? and Is admission procedure treat as same as domestic pool? cuz i might be screwed on DAT.

i'm from asia , GPA roughly 3.98, going to take DAT test on November (never took before).. am i hopeless?

ur response will be precious to me, its really hard to get information about international student.:eek:

Hey Kims,

If you go to the U of T Dentistry web site ( http://www.utoronto.ca/dentistry/admissions/undergraduate.html ) and click on the "printable copy (PDF)" link, you will find the Admissions Guideline for 2007-08. On page 2 of the document is what you are inquiring (see below).

CITIZENSHIP AND RESIDENCE

Applicants must be Canadian citizens or permanent residents on or before the deadline date for applications. A maximum of 10% of the first year places may be offered to out-of-province

applicants.

Based on this information, you are not eligible. However, I do see where you are confused (see below).

INTERNATIONAL APPLICANTS

A person is eligible to apply to the D.D.S. program as an international applicant if he/she can enter or is already in Canada with a Student Authorization (Visa). International student status will govern the level of tuition fees to be paid annually.

I had always thought international students get into the program through another route where they had already obtained a Dental degree back home. I wonder if this is the case as it would conflict with the above information.

The best thing for you to do is ASK THE DEPARTMENT. Only they have the final word on whether you're eligible. You do have time since the DAT is in November and the application deadline is December 1st.

I can't tell you about UT, but I asked admissions at my own school about international students and they told me that the term is referring to international dentists who are hoping to have their degrees recognized by going through half the program. However, even for them they have to be permanent residences or citizens.

The admissions lady pointed out that even if you were to attend a dental school, you do not have the right to practice here. You need a work visa and that's a whole new thing. Plus, the public provides a tremendous amount of the actual cost of dental school which is earmarked for canadians only. What the international dentists pay is a heck lot more per year for the remaining 2 years.

I suggest if you are really keen on going to a Canadian Dental school, I suggest you seek citizenship.

Hi Kims,

It's fine to be an international student and its fine not to have a dental degreee for our school. In our class this year we happen to have at least 4-5 international students, and most if not all of them are Korean, and some of them have done bachelors aboard so no worries. And with a kick ass GPA like that I'm sure the Faculty would love to have you here as one of our members. If you have any further question just ask and I'll do what I can to help you out.

And about the DAT, don't worry about it, just study hard and do the best you can........in my experience the science sections are easy as hell, try to focus on perception and reading com....

Cheers :)

That UT guy

• 1 month later...
If I was born in canada and lived here my whole life, but went to dental school in another country for 4 years and came back here, would i still be considered a canadian citizen and be able to practice?

If you went the the US, you just have to write the canadian boards. However, if you went elsewhere, like caribbeans or europe, you will have to go thru two years of shortened dental school after a series of tests and interviews. Very competitive.

And as far as I know about international students (w.r.t. Kims' post) whose only undergrad qualifications are from overseas, there may be intense scrutiny of your courses, and of course various english tests. I imagine they welcome applicants as the tuition is twice that of normal students :)

Archived