Premed 101 Forums

Apply if dont have a year with above 3.7?

UWO's GPA cutoff is determined every year based on the applicant pool, and seems to be adjusted in increments of 0.05. For the past couple of years it has been 3.70, but before that it was 3.65 and then 3.60.

I have no idea what it will be this year, but you'll really be kicking yourself if you don't apply and then the cut comes in at 3.65...

:eek:

pb

I agree. You should apply. You are very close to the cut, and, while UWO does not make 'exceptions' in their cut offs, the cuts do change from year to year. In the past, they have been as low as 3.55. If you don't apply you definitely won't get in. And, it would definitely suck to not apply and then find that the cuts drop and you would have qualified. As already stated, all you really stand to lose is $75 and that is pretty minor in the total picture of how much you have already invested in this.

Just curious... I know I'm probably mistaken. But I thought the 3.7 from the website was for the upcoming year? i.e. won't be looked at if you don't have 2 years both above this value.

Is the number different based on the current pool? Good to know. I would just be surprised if it went down to 3.65 especially with high application numbers, but didn't realize that it is dependent on the applicant pool.

Thanks all.

From years of reading the board, I thought that they are only coming up with determining the GPA cutoff at a later date this coming cycle.

So in that case, what's the magical GPA 3.70 then (for previous years and not this year)?

(oh fyi, I once asked whether the GPA is 3.7 or a strict 3.70. The reply was 3.70)

But to the OP: I think you should definitely apply. You really have nothing to lose.

• 2 months later...

Both schools seem to have a lot of application cutoff nuances, so one school isn't really any higher than the other one (depending on how you look at the cuts).

Western (last year):

MCAT 10, 10, 10 Q (for non-SWOMEN)

GPA above 3.70 in two years (can have 3.7+ one year before applying but then must get 3.7+ during the year of application)

Queen's (last year):

MCAT 32+ (9's acceptable but 10 needed in verbal) (at least an 'O' [i think] on the WS) - so MCAT cutoffs are a little bit more lax at Queen's for MCAT

GPA 3.68 overall or 3.78 for best two years [once again, a little bit more lax, depending on a student's individual performance]

Queen's (from what I know) takes the top 25% using GPA and MCAT in their determination, while Western has kept their GPA around 3.7 and determined cut-offs based on applicant MCAT performance.

Hey,

Definitely due to more lax MCAT cutoffs on the part of Queen's, I'd say.

Unfortunately, in this day and age, with so much competition out there, it has become a matter of hiking both the MCAT and the GPA cutoffs in order to pare down the applicant pool to a number that is amenable to personal interviews in a reasonable amount of time (ie: a weekend or two). The truth of the matter is that the two are a balancing act more or less- if you hike one, then the other will be a little bit lower and vice versa.

• 2 weeks later...
Both schools seem to have a lot of application cutoff nuances, so one school isn't really any higher than the other one (depending on how you look at the cuts).

Western (last year):

MCAT 10, 10, 10 Q (for non-SWOMEN)

GPA above 3.70 in two years (can have 3.7+ one year before applying but then must get 3.7+ during the year of application)

Queen's (last year):

MCAT 32+ (9's acceptable but 10 needed in verbal) (at least an 'O' [i think] on the WS) - so MCAT cutoffs are a little bit more lax at Queen's for MCAT

GPA 3.68 overall or 3.78 for best two years [once again, a little bit more lax, depending on a student's individual performance]

Queen's (from what I know) takes the top 25% using GPA and MCAT in their determination, while Western has kept their GPA around 3.7 and determined cut-offs based on applicant MCAT performance.

How much does the MCAT WS cutoff vary year-by-year? I'll have one year above 3.7 when I apply, along with a 12-10-12 score... but I only have a P.

Archived