Premed 101 Forums

Mature (agh!) applicants:)

Hi there,

I found this forum and it's so great I can't stop asking questions!:)

I do have another q: I have seen a lot of posts here from people a bit younger than me, but very few "mature" students. I am 29, so I wouldn't call MYSELF mature:) but certainly more seasoned, with some work experience under my belt.

Does Ottawa tend to take any mature students or am I wasting my time? I don't have graduate degrees, I finished my undergrad and went to work...

Any ideas? M.

There are plenty of "mature" students in Meds09 and Meds10.. people that've been teachers, restaurantears (sp?), in the army, nurses, other allied health professionals so while the average age of both classes is about 24.5, the range goes upto 35 in Meds09 and 37 in Meds10 so as Aaliyah said it.. age ain't nuttin but a number. :)

Hi there,

I applied (and interviewed) at Ottawa a couple of years ago and would have been considered a mature student at that time. From my experience I'd say that Ottawa nor most other medical schools across the country have biases against a higher age of applicants.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

This is very reassuring to hear!! Several of the questions that we were asked on apps made me feel like I'd come off sounding worse b/c of my "extra life experiences" :P

It's good to know things have changed though since 5 years ago (I was told by our beloved college counsellor to not bother trying to get in b/c it would be pointless)

btw, I think I mostly want to get in this round just to spite him :cool:

I defintely do think it would hinder you, 29 isn't THAT old :P However, as I'm sure you already know, it might be a question that would come up during your interview (ie - "why did it take you a few extra years to realize you want to go into medicine") and I don't think spite would be the greatest answer ;)

However, as I'm sure you already know, it might be a question that would come up during your interview (ie - "why did it take you a few extra years to realize you want to go into medicine") and I don't think spite would be the greatest answer ;)

No eh? I'll try to come up with something better than :D

Of course now when they ask that's all I'll be able to think of :P

Hi,

I am one such Meds10. I'm 27. As someone pointed out earlier, the oldest person in our class is 38 I think. They told us that 1/4 of our class has a graduate degree, which increases the average age. Some people (2-4?) have PhDs. A couple have kids, a decent number are married.

I sometimes think that it would be nice to be younger and feel that all specialties were open to me, because I am starting to feel the time crunch of when would I realistically have a family if I did a longer residency. At the same time, I think my life experience has helped me out, I feel more confident with myself. So its sort of 6 of one, half dozen of the other.

I would definitely recommend having an answer as to why there is a gap in your education, if you haven't been pursuing other degrees since graduating with your undergraduate.

If this is what you want, you've got to go for it!

Hi everyone, thanks for the responses... I guess I was just sitting in my biology class last week, surrounded by these smart smart 20 year olds and I was thinking to myself, what the H.... am I doing here?!

Now of course, I am pondering on the inadequacy of my 150 character answers on my sketch - being a "literal" reader I wrote what they asked for i.e. what I did mostly; now that I look at the University of OTtawa Medicine PDF document, they say they want to see how it would help me to be a better physician, etc etc. I am PRETTY sure I did NOT show them that in 150 characters...great....

I hate this waiting stuff, and it's only just began. I have no idea how you guys do it:)

Hi,

I sometimes think that it would be nice to be younger and feel that all specialties were open to me, because I am starting to feel the time crunch of when would I realistically have a family if I did a longer residency. At the same time, I think my life experience has helped me out, I feel more confident with myself. So its sort of 6 of one, half dozen of the other.

If this is what you want, you've got to go for it!

Hey there...at 27 I don`t think you should feel as though some residencies are off limits! It is possible to start a family while in residency.

So if there is a specialty out there you want...you've got to go for it!

:) Sats

I think the essay sketch is usually requested in January. I can confirm this information since I have a friend at Manitoba, but I'm pretty sure. I applied this year as well, so...

Did you mean to put this in a different thread? :D

Gave me a heart attack...

Did you mean to put this in a different thread? :D

Gave me a heart attack...

LOL...I did mean to put in a different thread. I was reading this one and saw my name and I couldn't remember posting here. Then I read the message and I thought to myself...wtf...how did that get here. Anyways...I will edit it out.

Archived