Premed 101 Forums

Just curious about the MCAT

Guest triplefudgebrownie

Guest triplefudgebrownie

Disclaimer: I'm in high school, I'm a bit obsessed with planning ahead and stuff, and I'm curious about the MCAT - and I'm really not a troll asking stupid questions for the hell of it.

OK well, my main question is, how long does it take to prepare for the MCAT? I'm asking this because I'll probably get first-year credit from high school, so I'll start university as a sophomore... and apply to med school as a junior. That only gives me two years of undergrad time at university, before I go to med school (given that I get in, of course :P), and you probably have to submit your MCAT score by the time you apply, so it's really more like a year and a half to prepare for it.

So how long would you say it would take to prepare for the MCAT, to get a decent score (around 33...). And do you have to do your studying on your own, or is most of it covered in college coursework (if you're doing a Life Science major). I know I had to prep for the SATs all by myself, the school didn't help us study for it one bit.

Thanks a bunch!

Brownie

Guest triplefudgebrownie

Wow, I just read an article in the forum archive, which said 3 months is about the optimum time to prepare...

That really doesn't sound like much, I mean, it took me a total of 4 months to prepare for my SAT I and three SAT IIs...

I guess you get lots of preparation while you're doing your undergrad though... unlike me in high school doing the SAT, so might be why it takes less time.

Guest FungManX

Everyone is different. My friend spent about 1 day/night preparing for the SAT's (the following day) last year.

Although he bombed the english section (never got around to telling me his mark) he got perfect scores in math.

If it took you months to prepare for the SAT's you'll probably take more time to prep for mcat.

and one more thing I thought I should add.. alot of ppl taking the mcat are doing it in their 2nd-3rd year and 3rd-4th year so they aren't really on a break from school.. they probably spent alot of time prepping for it even during school.

Archived