Premed 101 Forums

Formula for Interview?

Lady

Hey guys,

I was wondering if McGill has some kind of formula for determining which applicants get an interview. Calgary, for example has one:

62.517*GPA + 12.122*VR + 6.757*BS

U of T also has one:

60% academic (GPA and MCAT) + 40% non-academic (sketch+essay+references)

So does McGill have one (that they make open to the public)?

-Lady

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Just to make it clear--there are no strict section cut-offs and no overall cut-off either for the MCAT...you are given an overall score on the three components pre-interview (MCAT, GPA, autobiography/LOR) with each section equivalent in weighting...there are people in my class with sub-30 scores and even some with 6's on VR...as James said in a prior post, it really doesnt hurt to apply--especially if you are a Quebec resident...

good luck!

-garp

• 1 year later...

2 interview = 2 x 20% = 40%

71 offers for IP

The average MCAT for IP was 33P and GPA 3.83.

Suggested but not strict cut-offs for MCAT are P9, B9, V8 => total 30

WS for IP is not considered

Thus, for OOP the cutoffs are higher, although the whole application is taken into account not only the numbers themselves.

Hope, this helps.

GL

There are contradictory things being posted on this forum. Some people are writing the breakdown is

20% MCAT

20% GPA

20% Autobio, CV and refs

40% Interviews

I believe that is outdated.

The last I heard...

20% GPA

20% MCAT

20% Autobiography, References

40% Interview

But you have to realize that the autobiography counts unofficially for more than that because I believe the interviewers have a copy during the interviews and spend the builk of the interview going over it. So it factors into that.

Others in this thread are saying that the breakdown is

20% MCAT & GPA

20% Autobio&CV

20% Refs

40% Interviews

Where are you getting your information from because obviously one of these is wrong!

The most competitve 152 IP (out of ~250) applicants were invited

2 interview = 2 x 20% = 40%

71 offers for IP

The average MCAT for IP was 33P and GPA 3.83.

GL

Hi Sergie,

I was just wondering how accurate is the average GPA. Is it posted on the McGill Med website or you called them and asked for the average?

Thank you

All of this will still matter on Friday if it is a Rejected that I get posted on my lovely Minerva Requiring Further Review!

Man, from this stress a little part of me dies each minute as I wait to hear. Ohh, there go 4 neurons and 1 poor overworked fasciculata adrenal cortex cell!

Hi Sergie,

I was just wondering how accurate is the average GPA. Is it posted on the McGill Med website or you called them and asked for the average?

Thank you

Hi Oslo!

No, I don't think I read this from the McGill website, rather this was from the annual med schools pdf booklet. Anyways I was anable to find this link today (I'll try again later and let you know) but I remember reading that the average CGPA of applicants for 2006 (7?) was 3.83. The range of accepted students' GPAs was from 3.46 to 4.0/4.0

About MCAT the Adm site sais:

For the Fall 2006 admitted students (a.k.a. Class of 2010), the average MCAT score was 33P, where, when broken down by sections, the average Biological Sciences sub-score was 11.8, Physical Sciences at 11.3, and Verbal Reasoning at 9.9.

other info was given by Mr. Dansereau during the interview sessions.

s.

Hi everyone!

I obviously made a mistake - 3.83 was for Ont med schools (Mac, UoT ect)

Here is the copy of the page 21 from the Admissions book 2007/2008.

The average GPA for successful McGill applicants is 3.77 (see below) for 2007/08, and it was 3.76 for 2006/07

p.21

Faculty of Medicine, MCGILL UNIVERSITY - MD,CM Program

Length of Program: 4 years Language of Instruction: English

Proficiency in English Testing: No Computer: Personal required

____________________________________________________________________________________

2007/08 New Admissions into Year One: 172

2007/08 First-Year Tuition: $3,772 for residents of Québec; $10,967 for other Canadian residents;

$28,313 for visa students; other compulsory fees were $2,565

____________________________________________________________________________________

Selection Factors: The number of year one positions available in 2008/09 is 172 and one additional

position is available only to Aboriginal/native applicants. In 2007/08, 153 positions were

filled by residents of Québec.

Any Canadian citizen/permanent resident or visa student may apply.

Academic Criteria: A 4 year Bachelor’s degree (120 credits) or 2 years of post-secondary study after

Collège d’enseignement général et professionnel (CÉGEP) is required at time of

admission.

The suggested grade point average is 3.5 or higher on a 4.0 scale and the mean grade

point average for successful applicants in 2007/08 was 3.77.

The MCAT is required and the results must be available by the application deadline,

2005. It is suggested that an applicant’s scores should equal a minimum of 30 or more.

Prerequisite courses include a full year with laboratory work in each of general biology,

general chemistry and general physics; one semester with laboratory work in organic

chemistry. Courses in biochemistry, cellular and molecular biology and statistics are

recommended. Pass/fail grades are not acceptable and courses completed more than

8 years ago must be repeated. Exception may be made for applicants with advanced

degrees in the material concerned.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Special Consideration: Applies to applicants with extenuating circumstances upon formal request and

Aboriginal/native applicants from Québec.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

Deferred Admission: Considered

Transfers: Not considered

Combined Programs: MD/PhD, MD/MBA

Interviews: These take place in January, 2008 for foreign students; in February, 2008 for residents outside

Québec; in March, 2008 for residents of Québec who are university graduates; in April-May,

2008 for residents of Québec who are CÉGEP graduates. For the September, 2007 entering

class there were 320 Québec residents interviewed, 48 other residents of Canada interviewed

and 41 residents outside of Canada interviewed for a total of 409 applicants interviewed.

There are contradictory things being posted on this forum....Where are you getting your information from because obviously one of these is wrong!

I know for a fact that as of the end of 2004 (fall semester) the breakdown was as follows:

20% GPA

20% MCAT

20% Autiobio

40% Interview (w/LORs counted IN the interview score)

I am 100% sure of this; it comes directly from someone who worked with the admissions committee on an admissions report that was shown to the committee. Whether or not this has changed since then is completely up for grabs..

I know for a fact that as of the end of 2004 (fall semester) the breakdown was as follows:

20% GPA

20% MCAT

20% Autiobio

40% Interview (w/LORs counted IN the interview score)

I am 100% sure of this; it comes directly from someone who worked with the admissions committee on an admissions report that was shown to the committee. Whether or not this has changed since then is completely up for grabs..

how are the LORs factored into interview score? the interviewers dont have them, at least im pretty sure they dont...

how are the LORs factored into interview score? the interviewers dont have them, at least im pretty sure they dont...

One of my interviewers told me that she would consult the LORs if she had any doubts about scoring my interview (ie. if she wanted to confirm a trait, etc). Thus, I am assuming that the LORs are available to the interviewers should they choose to consult them.

Hope this helps :)

One of my interviewers told me that she would consult the LORs if she had any doubts about scoring my interview (ie. if she wanted to confirm a trait, etc). Thus, I am assuming that the LORs are available to the interviewers should they choose to consult them.

Hope this helps :)

so its not necessarily used?

Archived