Premed 101 Forums

Pre-Dent Volunteer Oppurtunities

Are there any dental-related volunteering opportunities around for predents? Where could I find info? I already tried my dentist and he agreed to a job-shadowing for a day but says the office is too crammed and doesn't need a volunteer around. Any help could be greatly appreciated! And happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Well, first of all, you do NOT need volunteer experience to get into Dental Schools. A number of my colleagues have none or have only shadowed their own dentist briefly. However, if you are interested, there are a number of ways to get involved in the Dental field.

First of all, you can work as a receptionist like a few of my colleagues have done and are currently doing during the summers. Next, you can ask professors in the Faculty of Dentistry for research positions which some of my othercolleagues have done.

Finally, if you just want to check out the field without any commitment, you can call up different dental offices and inquire about shadowing. That's how I found Dentists to shadow. The nicer ones are the ones outside the downtown core.:D

Archived