Premed 101 Forums

END

Guest linkinpark

relax buddy,

there are far worse things you could do that would bar you from getting into medical school.

a lot of people take first year courses in their latter years because:

1) course conflicts in first year

2) had to many courses already

3) figured out one needed those courses as prerequisites for admission into another program (not necessarily med school)

the only way they'll raise an eyebrow is if you are registered 4th year and you are taking all first year courses. then you should be prepared to defend why you did that.

kupo

Guest blinknoodle

Don't worry, you are certainly not screwed!

You can definitely take first year courses in upper years, although be mindful that some med schools require at least 60% of your courses to correspond to your year of study AND your university degree probably has a cap on the number of first year courses that can be counted towards your degree. Unless you take a lot extra first year courses, you should be fine (one, or two, or even three chemistry courses will not matter).

Check out this old thread for further info (and other links to past threads): p084.ezboard.com/fpremed1...=196.topic

Like everyone else said, if you're making normal progress towards your degree, then you really don't have to worry about little things like this, in terms of medical school applications. A very large number of students need to take a few first-year courses beyond first year.

But if you aren't sure about general things like whether or not you are allowed to take the course, and how to choose your courses, you might want to think about visiting academic advising or the SOS.

Guest JewelLeigh

I definitely agree that you should get some more "official" advice to be on the safe side, but from personal experience, I can't see this being a problem.

I decided to try for medicine in my third year of a five year program and thus had a fair number of required courses still to take. In my fourth year I took 4 half courses (out of the 12 total I was taking that year) that were first year level. In fifth year I took 2 half courses that were second year level. This did not hamper my applications in the slightest, so in turn, I can't see it being a problem for you :)

Guest linkinpark

Thanks!! - to everyone who answered my question :D

Can someone explain to me the Grading Scheme as well? - i already looked at the conversion table and know for instance, that a A @ York = 3.8, and an A+ = 4.0, but I have a bunch of grades and don't know how to really calculate it? (a A+ in a 3.0 credit course (half) = 4.0? regardless of course time?)

It would be greatly appreciated if someone could give me an example.

Thanks Again!

This thread explains how to calculate your GPA. Basically, a 3-credit course is worth 0.5 credits, and a 6-credit course is worth 1.0 credits. You multiply the grade points for the course times the number of credits, add up all those numbers, and then devide by the total number of credits.

For example, if you have taken:

course #credits grade

CHEM1001 3.0 A

BIOL1010 6.0 A+

COSC1000 3.0 B+

Then you look up on the OMSAS form to get the grades, and you know that a 3.0 course is worth 0.5 and a 6.0 course is worth 1.0 and fill in the rest of the information:

course #credits grade weighting grade-points

CHEM1001 3.0 A 0.5 3.8

BIOL1010 6.0 A+ 1.0 4.0

COSC1000 3.0 B+ 0.5 3.0

Then you add the weighting * grade points for each course:

0.5*3.8 + 1.0*4.0 + 0.5*3.0 = 7.4

Then you divide by the total number of course weights:

7.4 / (0.5 + 1.0 + 0.5) = 3.7

So your weighted OMSAS GPA would be 3.7.

Guest codinator

no, 4.0 is considered 1 omsas credit, same as a 3.0 credit which could pose a problem to some. what happens is, each course you take is converted to omsas' own system:

3.0=1

4.0=1

6.0=2

9.0=3

essentially, for you to have a full course load, you should have a total of 10 omsas credits per year.

i have no idea what a 5 credit course is worth. i thought york got rid of those a while ago.

Guest spiritgirl

no, i heard from a friend that york only just got rid of their 5 credit course... they also got rid of some 4 credit courses (by 'getting rid of' i mean: turning them into regular 3 credit courses and so on), especially in the kinesiology department.

Guest premed101

Isn't a full course load defined as 30 (or more) credits, irrespective of the number of courses. Like suppose you're taking 3-4 4.0 credit lab courses and you're credits add up to 30-31 --- that's a full course load, no?

As a matter of fact, York won't even let you enroll into courses once you're over 33, so taking 10 of these 'omsas' credits isn't even possible.

Guest codinator

sorry, i never heard of that kine class, i was only thinking of bio.

i think that if you have over 30 credits you should be fine. i'm not 100% sure on how omsas' system works.

Guest linkinpark

i have exactly 30 credits.

I have no idea on how this is supposed to work :eek

And I don't even know when the Midterm Marks are coming out!

Guest codinator

i go to york. the marks will be posted in 30 minutes. go to the "CURRENT STUDENTS" section of the york website, and click on "F/W 2004-2005 GRADES REPORTS." only marks of fall semester courses will be posted. the marks could even be up now. there are NO midterm evaluations! and the marks DON'T arrive in the mail!

P.S. the use of caps was for emphasis, and does not signify yelling!

Archived