Premed 101 Forums

3.8, 33S, good extracurriculars. Is it too late to apply?

I can't say what your odds are but I would suggest that you save your money. You've already missed the AMCAS deadline for some schools. I know someone that submitted secondary applications in dec/jan (near/on the deadline) and the person only got one interview at wayne state...and I don't think the applicant was accepted.

I face a similar problem next year. I bombed MCAT's this time, and have to retake in July (the earliest I can do it w/ some confidence), so that means scores come out by August 15 (a month later)...Does that disadvantage me greatly? Is it possible to apply earlier and submit essays and stuff in, then release scores later on? (Will they still be able to use my new scores or will they look at this time's *cringes*) Thanks!

Yes, you can submit your entire application before MCAT scores come out. There will be a question on secondary applications that asks whether or not you wrote the most recent MCAT. If you have, they will wait until your latest MCAT scores are released before reviewing your file. That way, your application will be ready to be reviewed as soon as your scores come out. August isn't SO bad...ofcourse, the earlier the better, but you should still have a decent shot.

• 2 weeks later...

I am a "non traditional" applicant, BC resident, with similar stats to the original poster...I'm applying at UBC....and considering UCSF b/c my husband's job is actually based out of San Francisco.

I am sort of green at this...why does it make such a difference to apply early in the states? Is it something to do with the "rolling admissions"....? UCSF application deadline is Nov 1,:confused: but it is going to cost me 160 american...if it is a waste of money to apply now, it would be good to know.

Just to let you know, it is more difficult, but not impossible, to get into a 'UC' school as an out-of-state applicant (much easier to get into state schools in other states as an out-of-state applicant than in California). Your situation may be considered differently since your husband works in SFO.

I am a "non traditional" applicant, BC resident, with similar stats to the original poster...I'm applying at UBC....and considering UCSF b/c my husband's job is actually based out of San Francisco.

I am sort of green at this...why does it make such a difference to apply early in the states? Is it something to do with the "rolling admissions"....? UCSF application deadline is Nov 1,:confused: but it is going to cost me 160 american...if it is a waste of money to apply now, it would be good to know.

I am not saying not apply. But UCSF is a top 5 school. Last year they accepted 0 international students. UCSF loves research, so make sure you have tons of research in your portfolio.

P.S OUT OF ALL UC schools, UCSF is the hardest to get into -instate or OOS

Hey everyone,

I have 3.8, 33 S, and a ton of extracurricular involvement.

I know it's late in the game but if I apply now, what do you think my odds are?

Has anyone else in the past applied around this time and received interviews/acceptances?

thanks!

I dont think with your stats, its too late. In fact, I think you have a strong chance somewhere, if you applied broadly. I say if you have no problem financing the expense, apply now...

Or apply early next year, and i bet money you will be accepted somewhere next year.

thanx for your responses. I'm really new to this...

As I said I am "nontraditional" and have 2 young children. We have already lived in Asia for 2 years....so, I don't want to put them under too much stress by applying to too many places. I'm really only interested in Canada or California (b/c my husband works there). I wonder if it would be easier for me to get in if we actually were living in San Francisco first (he's commuting to Canada and we live here now). I could also be granted a 5 year work visa with the job I have now...

It seems there is no way I would get in otherwise....

I'm not big on research but have lots of hospital experience, volunteer work and otherwise....

thanx for your responses. I'm really new to this...

As I said I am "nontraditional" and have 2 young children. We have already lived in Asia for 2 years....so, I don't want to put them under too much stress by applying to too many places. I'm really only interested in Canada or California (b/c my husband works there). I wonder if it would be easier for me to get in if we actually were living in San Francisco first (he's commuting to Canada and we live here now). I could also be granted a 5 year work visa with the job I have now...

It seems there is no way I would get in otherwise....

I'm not big on research but have lots of hospital experience, volunteer work and otherwise....

UC schools are tremedously hard to get into..here are some stats from schools that accept canadians (stats from usnews):

UC Davis

Applied Interviewed Accepted Enrolled

International: N/A N/A N/A 0

UCLA

International: 104 5 1 0

UC-San Fran

International: 93 N/A 0 0

Out of three universities, only 1 ACCUALLY accepted a canuck (or some international person). The person didnt enroll in UCLA (a top 10 school) though. My reason, he probably got into harvard :)

I dont think having a visa matters, unless your husband is american. You need to show them you have a GREEN CARD. if you do, i think you can apply to all UC schools (show residency also). then your chances increase exponentially. BUt still UC is the toughest state to get accepted. even harder than ontario!!

I kind of figured that....thx for your dose of reality...I think I'll save my money and not apply to UCSF. I am a BC resident and have been here most of my life...however, I was born in Northern Ontario and did some school there. I have never even considered applying in Ontario b/c the OPA criteria for most provinces is too high for me. Do you know off hand if being that I was born in Ontario (Sault Ste Marie) if that would perhaps qualify me to some "in province" priveleges? I know this is likely NOT the right place to post this question...but, since you mentioned Ontario....

I know at UBC you can apply as an "in province" applicant if you did some school years in BC (even if you've spent most of your life out of BC)...

I kind of figured that....thx for your dose of reality...I think I'll save my money and not apply to UCSF. I am a BC resident and have been here most of my life...however, I was born in Northern Ontario and did some school there. I have never even considered applying in Ontario b/c the OPA criteria for most provinces is too high for me. Do you know off hand if being that I was born in Ontario (Sault Ste Marie) if that would perhaps qualify me to some "in province" priveleges? I know this is likely NOT the right place to post this question...but, since you mentioned Ontario....

I know at UBC you can apply as an "in province" applicant if you did some school years in BC (even if you've spent most of your life out of BC)...

No, i say apply! Someone on this board got a UCLA interview with 29 and an average GPA. Apply! Apply! You can get lucky. Ontario doesnt care OOS or In-state, i dont think. I dont know anything about UBC, sorry.

There are tremedous number of schools in the states that will accept you. So apply everywhere broadly. if I knew your stats and when you are applying i could help you further.

also, like mad, said there are private schools in UC too. Loma linda and standford come to mine. plus Do schools...options to consider.

...I'm confused:confused: Sony, I thought you said UCSF is the hardest out of all UC state schools...and that no international students were accepted last year. I think I will explore the privates as you suggested.

I have applications out at UBC and U of C in Canada...and I was considering UCSF (until I posted here and found out more info)...I am hoping to get interviews this Spring at UBC for potential enrollment in 2007. Obviously if I get no interviews I will re-plan. I likely will have to retake my MCAT to be more competitive OP and in the states. I have been out of school for 7 years...and my chem and physics courses were over 10 years ago...needless to say my 1st MCAT this past August was very average 26P :(

My GPA is good...last 3 years average at just over 3.8, I have 2 degrees. some of the grades from my first degree (Biology major) aren't as good, but overall it is ok. My extracurriculars are an asset (no formal research) but tonnes of volunteer and tonnes of hospital experience. I have also been a rehab therapist (OT) the past 7 years, travelled and lived in Asia....etc....

I think bottom line is I have to redo the MCAT and try my hardest to be an Einstein under pressure...which won't be that easy for me. Thanks for everyone's suggestions!

I dont want to discourage ppl from applying to places. The medical application process is RANDOM. Depends on who reads your application, what the reader is thinking, etc...So, who knows, someone might like your application and invite you for an interview. It has happened before, and it will happen again. The chances are remote, but still worth a try. Your EC look awesome, so who knows...just be prepare to accept the alternative, thats all.

Realistically, with your 26 MCAT score and being a non-traditional you will have a "harder" time in america. Bump up that score and apply super early (June). It makes a difference.

You are lucky your children wont mind moving as much since theyare still quite young.. Once they become teenagers, that's the problem. So, dont limit yourself to west coast schools.

That being said, I hope you get accepted at UBC this year :D. So you dont have to worry about the process next year.

Also have you considered doing a DO degree? There are 2-3 schools in west coast, and they are more friendly to non-traditional students like you.

Cheers

I wouldn't waste your time with UCSF. I have a friend on the adcom and he told me they have taken 1 international in the past 5 years. Yet he still advised me to apply and I did. I didn’t even get a secondary application. However I did get interviews at places like Harvard, Stanford, WashU & Columbia which are more competitive (based on numbers).

Basically if you have the extra $$ floating around apply – but don’t realistically expect to get an interview. You have a better chance at Stanford which is only ~1.5-3 hours (depending on traffic) from downtown SF. But your chances are much better overall in Canada. UBC gets ~1000 in province applicants for 214 spots compared to Stanford which gets ~6000 applications for 100 spots.

Also keep in mind there is absolutely no financial aid of any kind given to Canadians at California schools. So that’s ~250-300K CDN you’ll need to have up front.

Archived