Premed 101 Forums

OMSAS GPA Calculation........Can you help me?

Guest UWOmalestudent

Guest UWOmalestudent

Hello,

I just finished first year, and am having problems calculating my OMSAS, and especially my AMCA GPA.

I tried the OMSAS conversion table, but I wasn't really understanding the weighting that was going on.

Could someone help me and calculate it for me, showing how you did it?

I recently received my first year marks from UWO which are

Bio - 94 [full course]

Chem - 95 [full course]

Physics - 94 [full course]

Calculus I - 97 [half course]

Calculus II - 100 [half course]

Psychology - 87 [full course]

I really don't understand by what someone said by 'averaging these and multiplying the half courses by 1 and the full courses by 2.

If someone could help me in calculating my omsas GPA I would be greatful!

Thanks guys.

First convert each course to the OMSAS value. For you, you will have 4.0 for all of your courses except Psych, which will be a 3.9 assuming you are using column 3 in the conversion table. Next, multiply each full course value by 2, each half course value by 1. Add all of these values together, and divide by 10 (since you have 5 full credits or 10 half credits in total). This will give you your OMSAS GPA.

So you have: 8+8+8+4+4+7.8 = 39.8

39.8/10=3.98

So, by my calculations you have a 3.98. Congrats on a great year!

Guest UWOmalestudent

Thanks for your help 007.

Is this competitive enough for medical school applications?

I'm seeing ALOT of people on here with 4.0 GPAs .... :(

I'm really angry at myself for messing up in psychology :(

Guest richmond604

i wonder how you'd convert mcgill gpa to omsas, since mcgill doesn't give %, but letter grades, any help would be great, thanks

say i have

A 4 credit course

A- 3 credit course

A 4 credit course

B- 3 credit course

Guest UWOmalestudent

Guys, with a 3.98 GPA, is this competitive enough to get into a prestigious medical school?

I see alot of people and know alot of people who have 4.0 every year :(

Guest richmond604

im sory to say this but would you not agree 3.98/4.00 is not as competitive as 4.0/4.0

Hence, your chance of being admitted is greatly jeapordized. I suggest you take some non-credit courses to improve your gpa :D

you seem to be a bright guy/girl based on first year results, please don't let this gpa business bother you.:rolleyes

Guest uteng

You're kidding right? Are you really asking if 3.98 good enough? Read some of the accepted/rejected threads to get some perspective. You'll get little sympathy from some us sub-3.4s :)

I've never calculated my GPA. One, it might be kinda depressing. Another reason is that it's kinda out of my control. I tried my best, and the schools will apply whatever formula they want - nothing I can do about it.

The online OMSAS application will spit out a GPA number for you too after you enter in your grades if you're concerned.

Guest UWOmalestudent

Thanks for your reply guys,

Richmond, I am not really sure what you mean.

I am worried about my poor psychology mark that brought my GPA down to 3.98

Alot of people I talk to have 4.0 and alot of people say without a 4.0 I stand no chance at a good medical school.

Is a 3.98 a good GPA to get into a prestigious medical school like Toronto or Western?

Guest UWOmalestudent

Pardon?

If someone could help me out and answer my question without posting other irrelevant stuff I would appreciate it...

Guest PanjabiMD

YES. Your 3.98 is competitive.

You need to realize that most people don't have a GPA even close to that. When you continuously ask whether or not that is an acceptable GPA (I am sure you already know the answer), you risk the possibility of stepping on people's toes.

There have been many people who get into med school with low GPAs. I honestly consider a GPA of 3.6-3.7 fairly competitive. Sure it is not amazing, but coupled with strong ECs, you would have an excellent chance to get into medical school.

As others have previously stated, lighten up.

PMD

Guest 4shattered4

Medical school isn't just a "Who has the highest gpa?" game...They also look at your extracurriculars. MCAT's, profile, experiences, etc....so I really don't think you have a reason to panic.

Guest Ollie
Is a 3.98 a good GPA to get into a prestigious medical school like Toronto or Western?

Well my troll alarm is certainly going off.

But assuming this is an honest questions. Have you done ANY research into med school admissions whatsoever???? The answer to this question is easily found by looking at the school's websites and the OMSAS website where you will find each school's GPA cut-off and often the average GPA of admitted applicants.

Please don't post expecting people to do your homework for your, or to pat you on the back and tell you how great you GPA is.

Guest UWOmalestudent

I didn't mean to upset anyone.

Someone please lock this thread or something.

I really don't understand why future physicians belittle each other like this....

Hello UWOmalestudent,

To be quite honest, I really do not believe that you have seen "many" 4.0 GPA's posted on this site, as you have previously stated. In fact, I would challenge you to provide ample evidence to back up this claim. If you truly believe that you need a 4.0 GPA over 3 or 4 years of university to enter even the most "prestigious" of schools, you are completely mislead. In fact, it is extremely rare that one obtains such an exceptional GPA, as courses come upon students that may present their own challenges, as exemplified in subjective, non-science courses. To be prefectly clear, you have failed to do much research into your future. This may seem harse, but if one were to look up any medical school on the internet, you would quickly discover that GPA cutoffs for entry into medicine are FAR from 4.0, with most hovering around 3.7. Also, you would have been introduced to the idea that most medical schools minimally weight GPA when considering an applicant for entrance into their program. I challenge you to invest some time this summer looking this up.

As for your initial post, I find it rather difficult to believe that an individual with a 100% in calculus can fail to carry out simple math, like calculating his own GPA. It does appear, although you clearly state the otherwise, that you have formulated your post with the sole intention of displaying your marks to those on this forum. This is why you have received such harsh responses. The individuals on this site are not hear to praise anyone; in fact, the sole intention of this forum is to provide assistance to those with actual difficulties, where answers cannot simply be found while perusing the internet on their own time. The question of GPA calculation has been discussed many times and a simple search of this website would have answered your question. For future reference, please take the time to research your question prior to asking it. This would have avoided such reactions from fellow colleagues.

To conclude, your statement "I really don't understand why future physicians belittle each other like this...." is quite inappropriate. This forum has done nothing but help those with their difficulties and offered tremendous insight for applicants with troubles far worse than your psychology mark. Please refrain from such comments, especially if you plan on continuing to use this website.

TS

Guest UWOmalestudent

Thank you for your reply TS,

It really was not my intention to anger anyone.

Although I do have a question.

When you say, 'medical schools minimally weight GPA', do you mean things such as awards/extracurricular activities are MORE important than GPA?

Hello,

To be quite honest, GPA is only highly considered (> 50%) for the University of Toronto, where GPA represents 60% of your final admission score. At most of the other schools in Ontario, but also the rest of Canada, many other factors play into the final decision, such as volunteer endeavours, extracurricular activities and awards, and the interview. Additionally, for many schools, the MCAT also determines your admittance. Therefore, although it is important to maintain a relatively high GPA, it is arguably more important to be involved in your community and perform well in your interview. Essentially, there is more to a physician than a high GPA. It is beneficial for the admissions commitee to know you have potential to learn the material in order to practice as a physician; however, it is equally important that you can communicate clearly and that you are involved in your community while practicing. Of course everyone would agree that your first GPA is exceptional, please keep in mind that this is only a small portion of the final decision towards your acceptance. Best of luck in future years, as you work towards building up your application profile. I also reccomend that you do some research so your know what medical schools are looking towards prior to your application, as every school is different.

TS

Guest UWOmalestudent

^ Thanks for your reply TS.

To be honest, I have very little volunteer experience.

I do have alot of awards and extra curricular involvement.

If my GPA is 'exceptional', will medical schools overlook it if I lack in another aspect?

Guest FrancophoneRN

No, they won't. They look for more balanced individuals...

They want to see that you can manage many things in your life, not just study. They want to know if you contribute to the community already through volunteer work and employement. They want to see if you can handle many responsibilities and still function.

I reccommend working a bit while studying, gives you perspective on things...

Read the other threads on what others are saying about it...

Also do know, that once you have an interview, the score you get can really make a difference no matter what your GPA is or your ECS or anything. But when you're well balanced, it shows...

Guest UWOmalestudent

^ Thanks for your reply.

I have many years of summer employment and great reference letters. I don't believe in volunteering to be honest.

I will just focus on doing well in the interview and my many years of summer employment and extracuricular activities will make up for it I suppose.

I don't believe not having any volunteer experience automatically makes you 'void' if you are successful in the other things looked at. Any opinions from personal experiences and interviews on this?

Archived