Premed 101 Forums

OMSAS GPA Calculation........Can you help me?

Guest UWOmalestudent

Guest FrancophoneRN

ooooh, that last comment will piss people off.

What's wrong with volunteering? I was gonna suggest that you volunteer at a women's shelter... now I'm not so sure...

But seriously, what's wrong with volunteering? It's not what you may expect you know... You get back as much as you give you know...

Guest UWOmalestudent

I don't believe in working anywhere for free.

I wouldn't want to volunteer at a women's shelter anyways.

Whether this 'pisses people off' is beside the point.

It is very easy for physicians on medical commitees to say volunteering is a great experience, while they are making over 400 grand a year.

I'm not here to get into a debate with anyone over volunteering. If you want to volunteer, then do it....

My question was, if I have 5+ years of summer work experience at the same job and many extracurricular activites, would my lack of volunteer experiences be overlooked?

Guest Gexar

UWOmalestudent:

If you have work experience and extracuricular activies, I dont think your lack of volunteering will hurt your application

Guest FrancophoneRN

I don't know, depends on the pool of other applicants... Depends on what they are looking for that year...

What's wrong with working for free ? I'm curious... seriously? Don't you know that sometimes volunteer work turns into jobs? Did for me !

Guest flying kumquat

A lack of volunteer experience might come as a disadvantage, or it might not - it depends on your interviewers and others reviewing your file.

I'm sure having no volunteer experience would have been a disadvantage at my interview at Queen's this year. One of my interviewers was called in at the last minute and hadn't had a chance to look over my file. Nonetheless, one of his questions was along the lines of, "what's something you've learned about yourself in a volunteer position you've had in the past year?" I had only volunteered in one place within the past year (and quite enjoyed it), so that's the only experience I had to draw on. I'm sure it would not have been a positive point in my interview if I had said, "Actually, I have no volunteer experience; I prefer to be paid for the work I do." Perhaps you wouldn't say that, and it may not even come up as an issue, but it is something that seems to be expected of the typical med school applicant.

Guest uteng

This forum is like volunteering in some respects. Especially for the wonderful people who share their experience to answer questions, suggest resources, provide moral support.

They're actually giving you answers to your questions .. taking time out of their busy schedules ... well, for free. And many have answered the same questions over and over again to new posters and are happy to help. Cool bunch huh? Thanks everyone for your help.

Guest FrancophoneRN

You know, you're cheating yourself out of a lot if you are going to do all that you say you are going to do.

If you're just riling people up, good job.

Guest wattyjl

of course this person (i'll say he, since it's a virtual certainty) is just riling people up, there is no question about this. none. the only point for anyone else responding to any of his questions/comments is if you want to continue the joke.

i had to laugh at LP's comment back there... at least you realize when you've been one-up'd.

Guest strider2004
wow...i think the poster (UWO) gets the troll of the year award ahead of me....

Hmm...maybe we SHOULD start nominating people for trolls of the year! What does the list look like so far?

Guest 4shattered4

I'm really curious as to how you even got your 40 hours of volunteering service for the high school graduation requirements. Or was that also BS as you are planning to do for your interview?

A lot of people have told me that volunteering is not essential if you have other stuff you have done. However, I think it's a really good way to actually understand what the job involves and get into the environment. I think I've seriously gotten a lot more empathetic after volunteering, don't know about everyone else.

edit: I don't think the troll cares about what I had to say for volunteering lol....but maybe other people do, so I"ll leave it.

Guest Jochi1543

4shattered4, I love volunteering too!:D In my ideal life, I would be a pathologist at day and a doc-for-free for poor and underserved people at night. Well, realistically, it would probably be more like 3 hours a week on Sunday, but whatever - I would love to be able to contribute my service for free to a community clinic in the future, or take a year off after residency if my financial situation permits and spend it working abroad or in distanced rural areas.

And had I not by accident signed up to volunteer at a clinic 2 years ago, I probably still wouldn't have known I wanna go into the medical field.:b

Archived