Premed 101 Forums

mcgill's autobiographical letter

hey tamkhan,

wow this new site looks wicked sick...this board's helped me a lot over the crazy admissions process, so i figure i should give input anywhere i can (and spend some time away from the books) :D

first off, i don't know what the aadsas autobio is like so i can't tell you how it compares...i believe when i applied they gave us 3-4 pages to type on with very specific instructions regarding font size and spacing...my thang was a little under 600 words long (i used the same one as i did for ubc) and fell one page short of the essay length limit, so i'm guessing longer doesn't equate to better...

here's my layout:

1st paragraph: how my experiences as a dent patient taught me the value of dentists and how they sparked an interest in the profession (if you think about it, the adcom really wants to know that you understand the diff between the med and dent professions so that you know what you're in for, and that you don't bail on them halfway through)

2nd paragraph: how i went about exploring the dent profession by shadowing and learning the different qualities required of dentists.

3rd paragraph: how my volunteer/work/hobby experiences all pointed me toward the profession

4th paragraph: concluding my commitment toward becoming a dentist and some of the things that i would pursue further in dentistry if i became one (ie. reverse pull head gear which i've worn as a child and other appliances)

that's it...i don't feel too comfortable sending out my personal statement as a sample to others so don't ask :P it's a weird layout i know, but for all the things i thought were worth noting, it was the most coherent way to arrange it

Archived