Premed 101 Forums

END

Guest linkinpark

Guest UWOmalestudent

^ Agreed.

To the older people: you already failed once, it's time for the younger people's shot.

So get the f*ck out of my way and quit worsening my chances!

Guest uteng

so this is the linkinpark troll people have been talking about...

I probably shouldn't even respond, but a couple things.

True, it's definitely more difficult as an older applicant. I'm pretty sure I had greater stamina in undergrad for storing information, and it's tough getting back into school mode. There's also greater sacrifices in terms of income, and time away from family and such, and balancing financial and family commitments.

Consider this though. They've already tried a few things along the way (different career paths - maybe paths that would blow your mind) that you will likely never be able to try because medicine is such a long haul. Some will have professional skills and get much more out of the medical degree than you might. Because of their professional experience and network of contacts they may be able to take advantage of opportunities that you might not.

Because they've tried other things, and because they are giving up a fair bit, they will most likely have more reasons than you for being in medicine, and more drive for getting where they want to go, and getting through the rough times.

In the later stages of your medical career when some experience burn out and decide to switch careers - when do you think it's easier to do it? Before medical training (as the older applicants have done) or after? Once you step into medicine, you're in for the long haul, if you want to try different careers in your life, some would say it's better to try other paths before you start.

For some career paths outside of medicine, it's so much more difficult to start them later on in life than starting medicine is.

Guest UWOmalestudent

stfu.

Bottom line: you already failed once. Deal with it.

Stay the f*ck out of med school so I can get in easier.

Guest UWOmalestudent

^ Exactly.

Damn Chinese and Indians coming here, can't even speak English, but government loves to take them because they pay 3x as much.

Guest Kidha

How many Medical schools do you guys know of in Canada that take students from other countries? And if they do is it really that significant of a number?

Guest noncestvrai

To the ones that think the "older applicants" are worsening their chances, does that mean that the "older applicants" are better than you then?

noncestvrai

Guest UWOmalestudent

^ It means, the older applicants are felt sorry for by the admission board and they are admitted for 'showing an recurring interst in medicine' because they keep reapplying.

Botton line: you couldn't hack it as an undergrad. Accept it and move on.

Guest Silverbullet

Did you not consider that perhaps they didn't fail, but after having a sucessful career in an unrelated field that they wanted something different out of a life? I'm 19 years old and this of course does not apply to me, but the assumption that they failed is very ignorant.

Archived