Premed 101 Forums

do you worry about missing the mark on strengths and weaknesses

I have no idea what my referees put for this, although I have asked for numerous friends imput before writing. Since they mention on the instructions "keep in mind your referees are asked to comment on this" it seems like it is important that they match up.

Anyways I guess this is more of a rant since I have put lot of thought and reflection into my essays and I am nervous.

What a weird comment to put. However, I think they are probably looking for critical self-appraisal as opposed to the traditional and frankly, mis-aligned portrayal of one as a super human who's only weakness is caring too much for other people.

A question like this probably wants to see how much you know yourself and how you can bring that across. More importantly, I wonder if they would like to know if you are working on those weaknesses. I remember when I was going to apply to McMaster, but later decided not, there was a question similar to this one. I thought long and hard about what I wanted to personally change about myself and it eventually led me to my greatest weakness.

The older applications (like maybe 5 years ago) explained that what they don't want is a glowing reference of yourself from yourself with your only weakness being "I'm a perfectionist" and not thoroughly backing that statement up. I believe that the added remark about remembering your referees are commenting on this means that beware of saying you're perfect when they may have found some weaknesses. Don't worry if what you say and they say matches up so long as you're showing genuine insight into who you are.

Archived