Premed 101 Forums

How's the modified curriculum?

Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone can comment if the modified curriculum seems a lot better than the previous one? I've heard that the new curriculum has much more PBL and much less lecture time. I don't know much else about the new curriculum. What else is new to the curriculum?

Zuck

I actually like the current curriculum very much, we have a big course called form and function and it is organized into sections/modules ie motor systems, transport systems, etc, and in each section we will learn all the embryology, histology, physiology, anatomy associated with the module and we have an exam at the end of each module. This way when it comes down to the final exam, we should know most of the stuff already. The only other science course we have on its own is biochemistry. The rest of the courses are professional skills, professional issues, etc.

The time schedule is also quite good, everyday from 8:30-12:30, and we have one afternoon session once a week. The rest of your time you can shadow, do some extracurriculars, sleep, etc :)

I think at this point in time it's hard to say whether the new curriculum is better, because there are a lot of wrinkles to be ironed out. As with all new things, nothing goes perfectly smoothly.

However, in theory, the new integrated class is great. Apparently before, having physiology, embryology, etc as seperate classes, caused a lot repetition and inefficient lecture time. But now, or at least soon, everything should be very organized and much easier to learn. As well, I definitely agree with UofS2010 again, the frequent module exams helps keep your studying up to date ( :o not that any of us need that help, right?)

Anyway, I'm not sure how else the curriculum changed. If there is more Problem Based Learning, that's great, because I find it really helps my learning. Applying theoretical knowlege and seeing how it can be put to good use helps anchor the information in your brain.

Anyway, that's my two cents. So far, I give the new class an "A".

Archived