Premed 101 Forums

re omsas GPA

Guest eagersat

Guest eagersat

Is 87% 3.9 and 83% 3.7 or are they 3.94 and 3.82 respectively?.

If former, then depressing, my gpa will fall. Omsas gpa is confusing. Is the gpa calculation different for the ont schools? Thanks

The first one is right.. 85=86=87=88=89, all=3.9.

What do you mean by is it different for ON schools? In terms of how they calculate it? No, 87 would be a 3.9 (if your school fits in that rubrick) and never a 3.94.

Guest eagersat

Thanks. MY gpa is then 3.81, otherwise it would be 3.84. Ottawa cut off seems to be 3.83 for some years. Dont know if this is for interview or for admission. I saw some where different schools use the omsas thing for guidelines only and have their own ideas on different aspects of marks

Ottawa's 3.83 this year was for interview.. once you have an interview the GPA only counts for tiebreakers.

In terms of how schools treat your GPA... you're right, it's not consistant. They calculate each course's GPA through the standard, but then apply differential weighting formulae (i.e. dropping courses, weighing some years higher, etc.)

So actually, did you apply Ottawa's weighting for your GPA? Maybe it's actually higher than 3.81?

Guest eagersat

Thanks again. It is wgpa for Ottawa. I did not include summer courses. I heard Mac takes even the summer courses. I wonder what this gpa is all about

Guest caliente

If money is not an issue, just apply to all schools you think you'd have a reasonable shot at. Calulate your ballpark gpa for each school, but remember the admissions committee ultimately decides what your gpa is for admissions purposes...

The "cut-offs" also change slightly from year to year. So if you are close to last year's, I would recommend applying even if you don't meet them. You never know...the cutoffs could be changed in your favour. I think at some schools the cutoffs are determined yearly by the applicant pool.

Archived