Premed 101 Forums

What if I took 5.5 credits this year?

i already had a pretty bad first year, so i was counting on applying after 4th so that 4 full credits would have been dropped. but what happens if i take 5.5 credits this year my second year. im doing pretty well this year so my gpa should be 3.5+.

thanks

w...b

First of all, taking 5.5 credits in one year won't do much.

Did you take 5 credits in first year? Because if you did, and keep taking 5 credits a year, then you'll qualify for the Toronto weighted cGPA.

There are schools that look at your best (1 or 2) years, or most recent years, etc.

i already had a pretty bad first year, so i was counting on applying after 4th so that 4 full credits would have been dropped. but what happens if i take 5.5 credits this year my second year. im doing pretty well this year so my gpa should be 3.5+.

thanks

w...b

3 full credits?

• 1 month later...

Do med schools notice that you took 5.5 just as they would if you took 4.5?

In my third year, I took 5.5 in order to take only 4.5 in my last year. And during third year, i balanced a lot of other ECs.. and really want them to notice that, rather than just seeing only my fourth yr lacking.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I also took 5.5 credits one year, and was never short credits any other year. Does anyone know (at any school, UofT or not) how they manage this!!! I know at UWO they drop it, and at Mac they use everything. But the other schools are a bit of a mystery to me. I especially need to know for Queen's university.

Do med schools notice that you took 5.5 just as they would if you took 4.5?

In my third year, I took 5.5 in order to take only 4.5 in my last year. And during third year, i balanced a lot of other ECs.. and really want them to notice that, rather than just seeing only my fourth yr lacking.

that might be the kind of thing you try and slip in during the interview

Hi,

I also took 5.5 credits one year, and was never short credits any other year. Does anyone know (at any school, UofT or not) how they manage this!!! I know at UWO they drop it, and at Mac they use everything. But the other schools are a bit of a mystery to me. I especially need to know for Queen's university.

you should probably assume that they use everything, unless otherwise stated. it might be best to ask the admissions office if you are so worried about it.

Archived