Premed 101 Forums

too little, too late?

I'm a BC resident, graduated with a BSc Life Sciences in June 2006 and applied to Canadian schools. However I tend to leave things to the last minute which is fine in Canada but doesn't work out so well in the US. I know that some deadlines have passed but the schools I was interested in all had deadlines Nov. 1 and later so I could technically still make it. My AMCAS application is all done, it's just a matter of committing to spend the money by submitting. My stats are gpa 3.8or 3.7 depending how it's calculated and MCAT 36M(10V,12BS,14PS) or 31O(10V,11BS,10PS), lots of extracurric and international volunteerism. Are there any schools that I could have a better chance at this late or should I just not bother? I really just want this as a backup since I want to go to UBCmed. Also, I'm only 19 years old, does this make a difference to any schools? Thanks for any help and hopefully it'll be soon since I have to decide within 20 hrs.

Your GPA and MCAT score (the 36M) are really good so I'd say apply. I don't know how the 'M' will affect you...I don't think schools put a lot of emphasis on the WS section (can't say for sure). It is a little late but you may be able to get some interviews with that MCAT score. Keep in mind, big schools like Harvard and Yale don't have rolling admissions so you're not at a disadvantage if you apply later.

I'd say take a look at the list of schools accepting Canadians (link below) and take it from there...

http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19065

Ofcourse, you may want to wait and apply early next year - you'll get way more interviews and you'll be able to apply to the schools that you want instead of applying to schools based on deadlines.

The age thing...hmmm...I know in Canada schools look for 'mature' applicants, but even here students that are 19 or 20 get accepted. I suppose age is just a number and if you're a mature individual it shouldn't affect your application process too much.

Hope this helps.

ummmm ....harvard and yale are the two i can think of off the top of my head...possibly hopkins??? you'll have to check the websites...sorry! if you can get your hands on a copy of MSAR (medical school admission requirements, published by AAMC) - it includes info on every medical school in north america, including applicant stats.

sorry i couldn't be of more help!

Archived