Premed 101 Forums

Reference Letter Question

Guest Gexar

Guest Gexar

Sorry for another question, but can someone help me out?

Most medical schools require about 3 reference letters.

If I am applying to 20+ medical schools, does the person writing me this letter have to write to 20 different schools?

Or is there somekind of application service that forwards them for you?

Or, if I have to send them, can I have him address the letter, 'To whom it may concern' and just make photocopies?

How does the reference letter thing work?

Thank you,

Gexar

Guest mephistopheles0003

Hi there,

The answer is "it depends" ;) Most schools have reference letter applications specific to that institution. These mostly consist of a simple checklist (where does this student fall in terms of professionalism etc) & a comments section. For the latter, my references simply typed out a word document that they could then attach to any school that I was applying to.

Hope this helps,

Mephisto

Guest Gexar

Hi Mephisto,

I'm not really sure I understand you. Are you saying that the professor who sends the reference letter does it himself?

I was under the impression that I would have to mail it to them. How exactly does the reference letter thing work?

Is it done electronically somehow?

Thanks,

Gexar

Guest mephistopheles0003

Hi Gex,

I gave each of my references a package, consisting of the reference letter (which I printed out from the applications website), my CV, my transcript and envelopes (stamp + address). They knew me pretty well so I left out the cover letter, which you can use to explain why you want to go into medicine.

I applied 2 years ago & back then, it wasn't electronic. My profs were responsible for mailing out their references when they were done. Alternatively, I suppose they could have given it back to me in a signed & sealed evenlope (their signature over the envelope flaps to ensure that you don't get a peek before you send it off). Once that was done, I could check my application online to see if my reference letters were in. This is important as 1 was quite late, & I had to send her a few polite email reminders.

Phisto

Guest Gexar

Hi Mephisto,

I'm still having trouble understanding how this reference letter thing works.

Are you saying, the professor has to write as many letters as schools you are applying? Also, are you saying I cannot see what the professor has to say about me before sending it?

Furthermore, does the professor send the reference letter directly to the school?

This is really frustrating, as I have no idea how these reference letters work at all.

Guest wattyjl

it's not that complicated...

you contact your references and ask them if they would be able to write you a strong reference letter in support of your application to medicine.

you get all the information necessary from the medschool website. for ontario schools you use OMSAS, which is affliated with the OUAC, which provides one large application that is used for all 6 ontario schools. other canadian schools all have individual application procedures: spend some time on the web and look these up yourself. if you're interested in the states, i have no knowledge of how their system works.

so, usually you have to print out a sheet or something from the institution you are applying to that has a few standard questions, a checklist, whatever, on it for you to give to your referee. in all instances i know of, they are also expected to write a 'letter' explaining their support for you. generally, the more personal the letter, the better the reference will look to reviewers (obviously).

then, the referee is supposed to submit all the documentation directly to each individual medical school/OMSAS. by mail. you are not supposed to see any of the references they write you.

to make it easy on the referees, esp. if you are applying to such a crazy high number of schools, you can do as much of the work for them that you can - i.e. give them addressed, stamped envelopes for each of the schools/OMSAS so that they can merely slip in the letter, and the additional sheet (checklist, etc.) and drop it in the mail.

one reference letter from each referee will work for (probably) all of the schools - the extra work for them, if you are applying to so many schools, comes from them having to fill out the checklists/additional comments.

make sure your referees are willing to go through the effort, for 20+ schools that may will be fair amount of effort and paperwork on their part.

go on the OMSAS website, look up the application booklet, and read it. even if you're not applying in ontario it will give you and idea of how the referencing procedure works.

if you are really applying to 20+ schools, and weren't just using that number as an example, you'd better get started - as it will take you, literally, forever. good luck!

Guest Ollie

If you are applying to the US I think they do have a central reference letter process. That question would be best answered in the "Applying to US Schools" forum.

Archived