Premed 101 Forums

Did some university and college years ago, should I go back?

Hi! I'm really interested in pursuing Medical School. It's my understanding that one needs to have completed a four year undergraduate degree (with a high GPA) and a high MCAT score. As well as non-academic qualifications, references, etc.

I have attended 2 years at YorkU a long, long time ago. Due to family and health issues, I didn't do all that well. I also dropped out of YorkU to support my mom and brother by working. Somewhere in there, I did a year in Seneca College for Marketing (4.0).

So now that you know my academic history *blush... Could you help answer some questions I have? For starters, I'm still deciding whether or not I should complete the Seneca program first - 2 years left. It would be something to fall back on should anything were to happen in the future. Or if I should apply to a University and start fresh - a new four year undergraduate program. What do you think will be the best, smart choice?

Let's say that I complete a four year undergraduate program with a high GPA. Would my previous low GPA from YorkU be counted towards the final GPA that is considered in getting accepted to Med School? If so, what can I do to up my chances of getting into Med School?

I'm 27 now. I guess my chances don't look too good, but if there's even the slightest chance that this is possible, I'd like to pursue it. Any feedback, answers, comments will be really appreciated =) Thank you in advance!

sophie.

Hi! I'm really interested in pursuing Medical School. It's my understanding that one needs to have completed a four year undergraduate degree (with a high GPA) and a high MCAT score. As well as non-academic qualifications, references, etc.

I have attended 2 years at YorkU a long, long time ago. Due to family and health issues, I didn't do all that well. I also dropped out of YorkU to support my mom and brother by working. Somewhere in there, I did a year in Seneca College for Marketing (4.0).

So now that you know my academic history *blush... Could you help answer some questions I have? For starters, I'm still deciding whether or not I should complete the Seneca program first - 2 years left. It would be something to fall back on should anything were to happen in the future. Or if I should apply to a University and start fresh - a new four year undergraduate program. What do you think will be the best, smart choice?

Let's say that I complete a four year undergraduate program with a high GPA. Would my previous low GPA from YorkU be counted towards the final GPA that is considered in getting accepted to Med School? If so, what can I do to up my chances of getting into Med School?

I'm 27 now. I guess my chances don't look too good, but if there's even the slightest chance that this is possible, I'd like to pursue it. Any feedback, answers, comments will be really appreciated =) Thank you in advance!

sophie.

Hi Sophie,

I think that when answering a lot of your questions, it really depends on the individual school. For instance, not all schools REQUIRE that you have a 4 year undergraduate degree completed before med school. Certain schools will only use 2 or 3 years of your undergrad marks. Some schools include all undergraduate marks you have ever had (McMaster specifically) and others use a weighted system where your most recent years of undergraduate work are assigned a higher weighting (e.g. year 2 gpa x 2, year 3 gpa x 3, etc.). I think that you should find out which schools you are interested in applying to and ask them for specific admission criteria because they could potentially vary quite a bit.

It's great that you did so well at Seneca in Marketing, but unfortunately, Ontario med schools don't count college work in your gpa or as academic years. So, even if you completed the college route first, you would be in the same position as you are in right now b/c these years wouldn't 'count'.

I think that it might be better, or at least quicker, for you to start with doing undergraduate work at a university. This will give you actual pre-academic years for med school. Keep at it and don't give up on your dream!

Thank you so much for taking the time out to answer my questions. You were most helpful and I have given a lot of thought to what you've said in your post.

I'm trying to map everything out in my head and trying to make sense of it all, as well as make plan A, B, C,.. Z!! Sometime this week, I'm planning to phone in different uni's, schools, etc. (currently overseas and time difference makes it difficult). I have some more questions... could someone help answer them? =)

1. What's the difference between a regular undergrad program and an honours one?

2. I will be applying to many 4 year business programs in different unis to start fresh. Is there anything I should keep in mind or to ask when I call up schools different?

3. It's my understanding that I can take pre-requisite science courses as my electives. Is there a list and are they taken in any particular order? Do they vary depending on different med schools?

Thank you in advance.

Hey,

Honours typically means you did a 4 year degree vs a 3 year degree. But it isn`t just a matter of number of years. You must fulfill the specific requirements of the Honours program you are in. These can include specific course requirements and often (in science programs anyway) a 4th year research thesis. So even if you do 4 or 5 or more years and don`t fulfill those requirements you still end up with a general degree.

All the schools have different prerequisistes. So you just need to look at the schools you are interested in so that you can plan your electives. Most schools will have this info posted on their websites.

Honours typically means you did a 4 year degree vs a 3 year degree. QUOTE]

I've heard of this element of having a 3 year degree vs. a 4 year degree when applying to med schools. In all honesty, it hasn't made much sense to me. As I understand it, it takes 4 years to get a university degree and I haven't heard of being able to get it in 3 years. Do you still fulfill the same number of required credits, but compressed into 3 years?

Also, I'm unclear as to why you say that 4 year degrees are honours and 3 years are not. I know a vast number of people who finished a 4 year degree but weren't in an honors designated program, so they received a general degree. Could someone please clarify this for me? Thanks.

Yes, as per my original post, if you do not fulfill the specific requirements of an honours degree (coursework, thesis if applicable) you will be awarded a general degree regardless of whether you were in school for 3 or 4 or 6 years.

You normally cannot compress 4 years of coursework into 3 years. You could try by taking more than 5 full credits a year and taking courses in the summer. But probably that would be challenging both in terms of course load and having all the courses available when you need them and meeting all the prerequisites for them.

If you look at the calendar of any of the schools you are considering, they will explain the degrees offered. And that may help you understand the difference between a general degree and honours degree (with a major, minor or specialization etc...).

Archived