Premed 101 Forums

taking 2nd year courses in 3rd year

Guest s sadry

Guest s sadry

because of a degree requirement that i was unable to complete this year, it looks like i will have to do a 2nd year course (1 FCE) in third year.

i was wondering if this is pretty common in people planning to apply to medical school...especially with the whole hype that "courses should correspond to the year of study."

another option is to move the credit into the summer 2006. but i was already plannign to take 1 credit then, and don't want to take 2.

question is...do you think students put themselves in a vulnerable position by having a course that is in a level below their year?

i really don't think its a big deal...especially because all my other courses will be 3rd year courses (80% correspondence).

thanks.

It shouldn't be a problem at all. They don't want to see you taking 3 first year courses in 4th year, but one 200 level in 3rd year should be no problem. I took a 200 level course in 4th year and I got into med school for this coming Sept.

Edited to Add: I remember researching this last year and UofT specifically states that 60% of your courses should correspond to your year of study.

Guest toroHaro

I don't think it matters. Most of the medical programs that I am aware of require students to take 3 or more full courses (60%) at their corresponding level/year. Even if you have less than 60%, as long as you can explain it in you essay (e.g. finishing a second major), you will probably not be disadvantaged. The crux of this is to demonstrate that you are not fishing around the system to earn 'easy marks'.

Guest Jochi1543

I started pre-med my junior year so of course a good share of my classes are freshman and sophomore level. I don't care much for it. Simultaneously, I'm taking a graduate level course and 2 senior level courses this semester (my junior year), and if they are gonna criticize me for taking first year chem my senior year, they better appreciate the fact that I was plugging through a grad and 2 senior classes my junior year.>: :hat

Archived