Premed 101 Forums

Medical school faces loss of prestige

Wow. I know this sort of thing happens all the time to schools in the States (i.e. even Stanford was on probation), but didn't think it happened in Canada. LCME is really strict and even one imperfection really throws them off. It's really nothing to worry about, but still, it's definitely embarassing.

After the meeting had for faculty & med students on Friday, the consensus seems to be, probation sucks yes, but in the long run the school will be better for it as beneficial changes are being made to the program right as we speak. U of A is not the first Canadian school to be put on probation...U of S faced probation several years ago. If you look at why the school is on probation, there were infringements of standards yes, but they were not grossly large ones.

Ya, me too. I wonder, though, if this will affect the wait-lists, etc if they are put on probation. The article says that they have to inform everybody accepted that they are on probation, and I'm assuming they'd be up front with them and do that straight away, as soon as they're accepted. I wonder if people who would have gone to the U of A will prefer to go to another school they get accepted at due to the probationary status. Maybe the wait-lists will move much faster this year in that case. We will see, if they are indeed put on probation.

Many schools have been put on probation in the past. None has ever lost its accreditation. In the US, Temple, Chicago Med (Rosalind Franklin), Hawaii, even Stanford have all been put on probation. In Canada, UofS and now UofA have been put on probation. The deficiencies cited by the LCME are legit and need to be fixed, especially on the subject of student harassment, and lack of supervision on the ob/gyn rotation at one of the hospitals (which shall remain nameless but those of you who are students here will probably know which one.) While I am only a resident and did not do med school here, I do hear from students and former students (now residents) who complain about the ob rotation at this school. In fact, the ob residency program recently pulled all their residents from this hospital because of how bad it was. With respect to being more "active" in the curriculum, I have no idea how the curriculum works here, so I can't really comment on that. I'm sure UofA still produces good doctors. Instead of feeling sorry for themselves, this will give the school a chance to address and fix these problems.

I think you're right, moo, that it is a good thing (or will be). Whenever docs/chiros/etc. ask I tell them I applied for the U of A and the first thing that every one of them says (even the ones that graduated there) is 'oh why don't you try somewhere else? The U of A is very much an old boys' club.' So hopefully some of these issues, as well as curriculum issues will be addressed and result in a stronger program (considering it was a strong program producing good docs to begin with, or so I read).

Hrmm.... yah I don't think this will be a huge issue for U of A. It's still one of the best programs in Canada, and produces excellent doctors. I'm sure every program has it's issues that need addressing, in this case I think it is just U of A being a tad inflexible to some minor changes, nothing too serious. As mentioned before, it's already a really strong program, so some changes can only make it better. I haven't really encountered the 'old boys club' thing yet, but maybe I just don't know enough people on the inside yet;)

Found this article.

http://www.canada.com/edmontonjournal/news/story.html?id=034aeb04-c620-4a48-a83b-ae7ed63522ca

While it says that it passed the Canadian review, UA may be on probation from an American review board. I wasn't even aware that there was an American review board that reviewed Canadian schools.

There is a short CBC story on this too. I don't think the probation is a big deal. I'm sure U of A will fix things up.

• 2 months later...

Just thought I'd post an update on this for anybody interested in the U of A (if this is even an issue for you).

I heard on the news last night that the U of A won their appeal against probation. So their program is technically not on probation anymore.

I hope they still see this as a sign and perhaps improve on the weaker aspects of their program anyway.

Just thought I'd post an update on this for anybody interested in the U of A (if this is even an issue for you).

I heard on the news last night that the U of A won their appeal against probation. So their program is technically not on probation anymore.

I hope they still see this as a sign and perhaps improve on the weaker aspects of their program anyway.

I can't find a link on this, can anyone?

Archived