Premed 101 Forums

What Consitutes a "Full Course Load" ???

Guest mcortex88

Guest mcortex88

For the five medical schools in Ontario, what is considered a "full course load" ??

I've heard that taking 5 courses (3 credit hours each) is safe. But, what if I only take 4 courses (4 credit hours each)?

Is this acceptable?

Guest mcortex88

Hypothetically, would someone taking one 30-credit course for the entire year be considred a "full course load"?

Conversely, would someone taking thirty 1-credit courses for the entire year also be considered a "full course load"?

Guest peachy

Yes, and yes. Although, while there may be some programs that have massive courses (Science One type programs?) I doubt there are any that offer that many 1-credit courses!

Guest mcortex88

lol...that's true, i was just trying to understand how the full course load thing works

basically, as long as you have at least 30 credit hours worth of classes per year right?

Guest thatuvicguy

Hey there,

Although I didn't end up applying there, 4 courses per semester was OK for Queens last I checked. As well, last I checked, McMaster didn't have an explicit full-courseload requirement. You would also be OK to apply to Toronto but would be at a disadvantage since you would not have the weighting formula applied.

People tend to toss out "5 and 5" as constituting full-courseload but different schools actually define this differently and depending on your situation this could be important. If you're just planning ahead, taking 5 courses is definitely your best bet.

Cheers,

thatuvicguy

Archived