Premed 101 Forums

Study tips???

Guest snap2005

Guest snap2005

Hey Y'all

Just - out of curiosity - thought I would start a list of neat (or weird) study habits, rituals, aids, etc - whatever you do to help you study (absolutely anything...) - Do you find green tea or caffeine essential? Do you have to wear the same underwear all through finals and then burn them in a ritualistic fire at the end? do you meditate for hours?.............

Guest Jochi1543

Nothing specific, really. I have finally managed to get a habit of studying continuously during the semester, so finals don`t terrify me as much as they used to. The only thing I do when the schedule gets tight is probably take my assignments/readings with me whenever I`m travelling somewhere on a bus or train, or when I go to the gym. I think nothing improves your performance more than eating well, getting enough sleep, and working out regularly. I`m pretty proud of the fact that I`ve never stayed up all night in college. The latest I remember was before an exam in International Trade - until 2 AM.

Guest TimmyMax

Hey,

Drink while studying- you gain knowledge and get drunk in the process- pretty seamless if you ask me! ;)

I'm joking. Or am I?

Best of luck!

Timmy

Guest studentz

I'm going to have to figure out a new way of doing things before meds. I'm one of those people who highlights (yes, I have a colour system) and writes things out, and while it worked in undergrad, I think there will be too much info in med school to continue doing this.

Guest TimmyMax

Hey,

I disagree- highlighting is good, especially when you have a ton of colours and know what each of them means!

I say to go with what worked for you first year and then adjust from there- some profs will suck and some will be good (at UWO at least), so go with the strategies that helped you see the light- it may take some time (it did for me!), but you'll catch on! :)

Best of luck!

Timmy

Guest TheShrink

I read EVERY chapter over again, especially if its for a social science course which tend to have a lot of those.

So what did the text mean to imply when it said this?

As far as science courses go I think its the best to just understand and go through all your labs and assignments over and over again. Oh and always buy the study guide for phys chem, inorganic etc. But not for organic b/c its a waste of cash.

I also don't find studying in groups very helpful; unless you are all on the same page then it helps you clarify. Or else you are left with a science similar to this.

Brent: So what did you guys think of Ch.5,6,7 and 8? I think i'm starting to get this all.

Sue: I didn't read any of those.......:S

Awkward silence...

So what about that Sens game last night? ( Ha, you can dream right? )

Anyways I think I went a bit off topic as I characteristically always do but hopefully you get my point.

My one study tip is that I study throughout the semester.

I always count up how many sections (ie. in Anatomy one section might be the digestive system) in total I have from all my courses. I know that I need 3 hours (one evening or 1/2 day) to make summary notes per section of a course, so I start making study notes with enough days left in the semester to finish them all before exam time. This is usually about 40 days. By the time exams come along, studying is a breeze because I have made a great set of notes to study from and I am reviewing for the second time (and answer any questions I had after the first time through). This way it is very manageable and you don't feel like you are studying that much.

In terms of weird habits...I am obssesed with having sharp pencils to write with, I have an electric pencil sharpener that doesn't stop going all exam period.

Guest petiD

I practically write the whole textbook/study note package out twice. Works, but takes far too long.

As far as rituals go... I guess not doing the dishes or my laundry for the whole exam period could be seen as a ritual, eh?

Guest MacStudent

I keep a study log. I try to reach a goal I set every morning (# of hours of active studying per day).

Noticed some interesting trends/patterns....

Guest 0nsp

I'm all for the cramming. I stay up all night, and bust my ass. Of course, I promptly forget it all after the exam, so i will need a new method for med school. As for tradition, I'm surprised no one has mentioned the "playoff beard". No shaving from start till finish (a decent 3 weeks of growth).

Guest noncestvrai

I do the beard thing too, and now cram only for a couple of days, I try to get a good nite of sleep, since I recall not sleeping and missing a few anatomy questions...My theory exam and lab practical were like 5 hrs apart. I learned my lesson.

Habits are hard to break as well...

noncestvrai

Guest nby

big supporter of the playoff beard, but this year my last exam was the 29th and all that growth made me look like those pictures of the dudes coming off the boats in the early 19th century, you know, the ones that haven't bathed in a month. I had to cut it off prematurely. I've never done so poorly on a final...

Guest Denny20

coffee coffee and more coffee. It helps me concentrate on the subject I'm studying for some reason.

Also, I try to study at the university as much as I can. I'll go up to the 6th floor in the library, lay in one of those comfy leather recliners, and study beside a big window that overlooks campus. When I pull the books out at home, TV and the computer distract me too much.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest wab8611

well right now i don't really study, since im in high school. but when i go to university i plan (key word "plan") on reviewing my notes and reading a head every day or week.. i was told by the time the exam comes around there would be know need to cram..:rollin

wab8611

Guest ttryit

I swear by the exam beard. You must shave on the last day of classes, and let the beard grow until the morning after your last exam. If you shave it, you're finished.

tt

Guest iamanurse

Since the sense of smell is believed to trigger memory... I always studied with a stick of juicey fruit gum in my mouth. During the exam I would chew it as well. I made sure that these were the only times I chewed the obscenely sweet stuff... and graduated from the nursing program with straight A's.

Guest PanjabiMD
Since the sense of smell is believed to trigger memory... I always studied with a stick of juicey fruit gum in my mouth. During the exam I would chew it as well. I made sure that these were the only times I chewed the obscenely sweet stuff... and graduated from the nursing program with straight A's.

Although I think your straight A's came from hard work rather than chewing gum, I still believe that this is a great idea. It is very original, and maybe I will try it sometime.;)

Guest iamanurse

LOL... yeah there was in fact some hard work required too. . Repitition by writing out and condensing notes seemed to help me. But I still SWEAR by Juicey Fruit. and continue to use it for this particular purpose (only) to this day. It has served me well! LO L

Archived