Premed 101 Forums

Average InProv CGPA?

White-Tiger

Anyone have any statistics showing the average cGPA of successful inprov applicants to the MDCM program?

When I was applying I was very heartened by this powerpoint presentation: http://www.medicine.mcgill.ca/facmed/facultymeeting/attachments/Admrpt2004R.ppt

It's a report on the admissions in 2003-2004 which shows that the average accepted GPA was 3.60 and 3.63 in those years. This may have increased a bit since then, considering the Ontario double cohort/"reborn Quebecois", but I doubt it's what they used to say on their website, which is 3.8. (They say "only apply if you have a 3.5 and up", but every year I hear a few get in with less - probably awesome MCATs though, and/or really hard programs like engineering.)

Mine was 3.74 at application time, I think 3.7 after graduation. (Slacked a bit in the last semester).

Trustwomen, I saw that report too. And I remember seeing some higher numbers on their website, so I was a little confused.

My cGPA is likely to be ~3.6 by application time...so I'm a little worried. My MCAT is solid though (36)...gah...

WhiteTiger, don't worry. I think you have a shot at an interview (36 MCAT is amazing) and if you do well on the interview, you're pretty safe.

The acceptance rate is high. And remember, there's no real downside to reapplying (assuming your numbers keep getting better every year, and you add to your life experiences)

What exactly do you mean, besides the sarcasm?

He probably means that out of province is the hardest of all pools at McGill. Last year there were 500 applications, 50 interviews, 7 spots. How's that for brutal.

Especially when you compare my pool, which was in-province university grads: 250 applications (it's usually 180, but there were extra due to the Ontario double cohort), 135 interviews, 74 spots.

He probably means that out of province is the hardest of all pools at McGill. Last year there were 500 applications, 50 interviews, 7 spots. How's that for brutal.

Especially when you compare my pool, which was in-province university grads: 250 applications (it's usually 180, but there were extra due to the Ontario double cohort), 135 interviews, 74 spots.

i love those stats for in province its like 50% acceptance rate... insane:eek:

50% of those interviewed, not 50% of applicants.

Actually trustwomen, if you look at that pdf file (don't have the link right now). It shows a 60% success rate. That rate is based on the number of successful applicants over the total of applicants. Not those who are interviewed.

You can even deduce this by looking at the stats for other schools, which are like 5-15%. No way in hell are only 5-15% of those interviewed at other schools accepted.

I still dont understand that 69% though...~30% would seem more acceptable..

Actually trustwomen, if you look at that pdf file (don't have the link right now). It shows a 60% success rate. That rate is based on the number of successful applicants over the total of applicants. Not those who are interviewed.

You can even deduce this by looking at the stats for other schools, which are like 5-15%. No way in hell are only 5-15% of those interviewed at other schools accepted.

I still dont understand that 69% though...~30% would seem more acceptable..

I don't know what file you mean, the ppt link I gave earlier indicates that the number of total applicants fluctuated between 750 and 1000/year (for Med-P and MDCM) while the number of places is 160-170. This means that for 60% of applicants to have been successful, several hundred people must have turned down their acceptances. Their own numbers contradict this, 68% of medps and 74% of mdcm's accept their offers. So they must accept 118 medps to fill their contingent of 80 (out of 400 medp applicants, that's about a 30% acceptance rate) and they must accept 100 MDCMs to get last year's contingent of 74 mdcms, and since 250 applied for mdcm that is indeed a 40% acceptance rate, but it isn't 60%.

A few years ago, there were a third fewer applications, and then the rate was closer to 60% - only for inprovince mdcms, recall - but that is because of the very low number of applicants for inprovince mdcm. The ones accepted have "standard" med school stats, I don't see how it's a problem.

Archived