Premed 101 Forums

Hello everyone

Hello and nice to meet you guys

i am an 4th year ubc student (combined honours chem biochem) who is applying for admission to ubc's dental school in the coming september...currently struggling through exams and hoping to do well (cuz i screwed up all my midterms)..

my overall average (based on last three years) is 85.9% (A), science average is 87.2% (A)

took the november DAT and eagerly waiting for the result...i will be happy if i get 20-25 on everything...carving...above 15 will be good

suppose everything for DAT goes as planned (assume 20 on everything)...what is my chance to get into UBC...or at least get an interview(UBC is the only dental school that i have applied)?

btw...for backup...i will apply for UBC's grad school and pharmacy as well

with dat scores of everything above 20, and an autobiography that is not written like you have no clue what dentistry is about, and assuming none of ur referees trash your rep in the reference letters, i'd bet my life savings (though i am but a poor student at this point) that you will get an interview...if you check out some of the previous threads about ubc, stats for ubc have been discussed before. that gpa would have been good enough for any university in previous years, maybe except for UofS

Celeron, just one tidbit of advice. DO NOT apply for those backups!!!

here is why:

- an MSc may take you 2-3 years to finish and will not significantly increase your chances of getting in. Also, dental schools don't like accepting people who are in the middle of masters programs.

- Pharmacy? unless you want it as bad as Dentistry, don't do it, this is your career we're talking about! Pharmacy has limited career advancement opportunities, and the max you will make will be mayyybe 90K... It's 4 years and at the end you are not a Doctor, and I would argue that it is not nearly as rewarding a job as Dentistry

My advice would be to take a year off, if necessary rewrite the DAT, and do a lot of volunteering, shadowing, bla bla. Then reapply the following year. Trust me, with those stats you will likely get in this year and if all else fails, you will almost certainly get in the following year. Provided of course, that your interview skills are up to par :)

Good luck to ya!

Trust me, with those stats you will likely get in this year and if all else fails, you will almost certainly get in the following year. Provided of course, that your interview skills are up to par :)

Good luck to ya!

thanks...i certainly hope that i can get in this year...if not....i will either change my career route for a research career (thats why the PhD)...or a pharmacist (thats why the pharm school)...or just like what you said...take a year off and apply again (i may apply for med school as well)

for interview skills....i guess being in the coop program will help a bit (i had plenty of interview experience (over 10 job interviews....and interview to enter the coop program))

and btw....i just got 99 percentile for my PCAT...lets hope that i will do as well for DAT

• 2 weeks later...
so i got my dat score last week...and it turn out "ok" i guess

here is my score

RC 20

BIOL 20

CHEM 29

Science 22

AA 23

PAT 20

Carving 14

so i guess everything goes as planned except carving....with my average posted above...what is my chance now?

Depends on the school. U of A won't even look at your application with a carving score that low. What happened? Does UBC have a cutoff for the carving?

hi, i just had a question for you... are u applying to grad school just becuase u want to have something to do if u dont get into dental school... or u actually would think that you would want to be in research if all else fails.. i mean what i am saying is similiar to the above posts, u are truly talking about spending thr rest of your life in that thing you are applying to ... either pharmacy or research ... so i duno if you are just trying to convince yourself that you would actually like to be in it or u are truly passionate about those "backups"

and just a note for you, if you want to go into pharmacy and then apply half way into the program to sumthing else.... u are gona struggle a bit more to keep that amazing 87 or 85 % average.... so just keep that in mind since pharmacy is a professional school afterall so expect to face some trouble ( i am not saying you cant do it... but it will be a lot more work than undergrad)

anyways good luck

so i have done some thinking and some searches over the forum...i have found that the weighting of different components for admission consideration of UBC dentistry is the following

30% GPA

30% DAT (i assume it is 15% AA, 15% PAT and carving)

30% interview

10% references, everything else

so my after looking at the stats of different people who has applied to ubc last year, my GPA (85% all courses, 87% science) should put me at about 90 percentile, my AA of DAT (23) would put me somewhere around there too (i hope), unfortunately my low carving score costs me to be at only 15 percentile

here comes the assumptions again...ASSUMING THAT I HAVE 80 PERCENTILE ON BOTH THE INTERVIEW AND REFERENCES/ESSAYS

i wonder if my below calculations would somehow be close to the final admission percentile

90(0.3)+90(0.15)+15(0.15)+80(0.3)+80(0.1)=74.75!!!

any thoughts about this? (i know its probably not right cuz this will be too good to be true.......)

hi, i just had a question for you... are u applying to grad school just becuase u want to have something to do if u dont get into dental school... or u actually would think that you would want to be in research if all else fails.. i mean what i am saying is similiar to the above posts, u are truly talking about spending thr rest of your life in that thing you are applying to ... either pharmacy or research ... so i duno if you are just trying to convince yourself that you would actually like to be in it or u are truly passionate about those "backups"

and just a note for you, if you want to go into pharmacy and then apply half way into the program to sumthing else.... u are gona struggle a bit more to keep that amazing 87 or 85 % average.... so just keep that in mind since pharmacy is a professional school afterall so expect to face some trouble ( i am not saying you cant do it... but it will be a lot more work than undergrad)

anyways good luck

well i probably will go for those "backups" if i have found that i am either rejected or waitlisted with a very low percentile so that its not likely that i can get in by simply rewriting my DAT and redoing my application....if i get a "very close to acceptance" percentile....i have another plan to follow

for reserach...i have done research in both academic and industrial labs (thank you coop)...so i know my interests...and to pursue this alternate career goal i have to get a PhD...thats why i will go there if i find that i cant go to dental school

pharmacy...well i am quite interested in it as well (who can resist working in the magical "drug kitchen"?)....and with my 99 percentile on PCAT i am pretty sure that i can get in...so applying that simply gives me a peace of mind if everything fails

Archived