Premed 101 Forums

Practising in the States?

acemd

What if one goes to school (gets their MD) in the states, and does their residency there, but is a Canadian citizen, would they be legally allowed to practise medicine in the states?

after your 4 years is up, you apply for residency. Now when you apply you have to apply to hospitals that give you a HB1 visa. this basically leads you to the path of getting a green card (and eventually american citizenship).

There are plenty of residency programs that give you a hb1 visa...even though it can be harder if you have below average board scores and are applying for competitive residencies

getting an HB1 visa is not a straightforward process. you must complete USMLE Step 3 before you can apply for, and get, an HB1 visa. most med students dont have USMLE step 3 completed upon graduating from medical school. it's usually done in residency - but to get residency you need HB1 ..or settle for the less appealing J1, which doesn't lead a green card.

getting an HB1 visa is not a straightforward process. you must complete USMLE Step 3 before you can apply for, and get, an HB1 visa. most med students dont have USMLE step 3 completed upon graduating from medical school. it's usually done in residency - but to get residency you need HB1 ..or settle for the less appealing J1, which doesn't lead a green card.

Not just that, I hear that in most competitive residencies (ie: not FM or Psych) you basically have a snowball's chance in hell at getting an H1B as a canadian...

First of all, I apologize. Its H-1B visa and not HB1 visa :)

Ok keep in mind that these statistics are little skewed. A lot of residency programs do not give H-1B visa to competitive residency to discourage FMG from applying. Reading SDN posts, I found out that even top programs, when told your situation (Foreign student but have an American MD degree) will offer you a visa.

Again though, it's still a battle, and you cannot be just an average student applying for residency. b/c the programs will take the student who doesnt require the visa over you. This puts pressure on you to honour classes and ace the board score :(

But to say its "snowball's chance in hell at getting an H1B as a canadian..." you are wrong.

if you trained at a US institution, you do NOT need to pass all 3 steps of the USMLE for H-1B visa.

if you trained at a US institution, you do NOT need to pass all 3 steps of the USMLE for H-1B visa.

This was discussed in great detail in an older thread...and also on the SDN forum and as far as I know, as an international student, you DO NEED to complete USMLE step 3 before being eligible for H1 - and it is not that easy to obtain one. Often people end up in residency positions in small/rural towns.

In response to the OP, yes you can work in the US - the process, however, is not easy.

This was discussed in great detail in an older thread...and also on the SDN forum and as far as I know, as an international student, you DO NEED to complete USMLE step 3 before being eligible for H1 - and it is not that easy to obtain one. Often people end up in residency positions in small/rural towns.

In response to the OP, yes you can work in the US - the process, however, is not easy.

Is it easy to find a residency in Canada if you graduate from a US school?

Is it easy to find a residency in Canada if you graduate from a US school?

Obviously Canadian graduates will be the first choice for residency positions. I don't think it's that tough...I'm not sure whether or not US grads are considered as IMGs - even if they are, CaRMS is changing to help IMG's find residency positions. You may not be able to get competitive positions though. Keep in mind that you will have to write the Canadian exams as well as the US exams if you're attending a school in the US.

Hey,

If you graduated from a US School and are a Canadian citizen/permanent resident, you are eligible to compete for residency positions in the first round of CaRMS (just like a Canadian medical graduate), since all Canadian and US schools are accredited by the same governing body (LCME).

NOPE, You do NOT need USMLE STEP 3 to get a H-1B visa if you are a US med grad and you are Canadian :)

What is your source for this information?

From website:

Doctors who have graduated from US medical schools only need to show they have graduated from a US medical school and that they possess the appropriate state license. Click here for link

From Student who is applying:

Re USMLE: if you trained at a US institustion, you do NOT need to pass all 3 steps of the USMLE for H1B visa. Also, if you are a US medical grad, you should demand an H1B. Programs that advertise that they only grant J-1 visas (as mine does) are doing so as a deterrent for FMGs. This rule will absolutely be broken for you. Contact the PD or secretary prior to the match if you have any doubts. Click here for link

Hey,

If you graduated from a US School and are a Canadian citizen/permanent resident, you are eligible to compete for residency positions in the first round of CaRMS (just like a Canadian medical graduate), since all Canadian and US schools are accredited by the same governing body (LCME).

p0tus is right. recent changes have allowed US med students to be in the first round. UVM 2005-2006 Match list shows 1 student matching up at Ortho surgery at U of Western. That's a pretty competitive residency :)

Edit:

I would like to add that there is a risk if you CaRMS and NRMP. It deals with scrambling and stuff...and will need a trend to explain it ;)Read it here if you curious

Obviously Canadian graduates will be the first choice for residency positions. I don't think it's that tough...I'm not sure whether or not US grads are considered as IMGs - even if they are, CaRMS is changing to help IMG's find residency positions. You may not be able to get competitive positions though. Keep in mind that you will have to write the Canadian exams as well as the US exams if you're attending a school in the US.

ya you are right. Canadian directors will prefer canadian students. but if you went to Hopkins, Upenn, Harvard, Stadford...that might not be true. even though few of those students end up wanting to match in canada anyways :)

NOPE, You do NOT need USMLE STEP 3 to get a H-1B visa if you are a US med grad and you are Canadian :)

From website:

Doctors who have graduated from US medical schools only need to show they have graduated from a US medical school and that they possess the appropriate state license. Click here for link

From Student who is applying:

Re USMLE: if you trained at a US institustion, you do NOT need to pass all 3 steps of the USMLE for H1B visa. Also, if you are a US medical grad, you should demand an H1B. Programs that advertise that they only grant J-1 visas (as mine does) are doing so as a deterrent for FMGs. This rule will absolutely be broken for you. Contact the PD or secretary prior to the match if you have any doubts. Click here for link

What do you have to do to get a license? Is graduating from a US school enough for obtaining a license? Hmmm not needing step 3 is news to me..i knew about H1B positions being available even if they werent advertised but not about not needing step 3...

This is NOT true. I go to a US school and in order to get the H1B visa, you need step 3. The Difference is that you have a year to do it (because you can convert the F1 student visa for a year of Optional professional training [OPT]).

That said, getting the visa is never a problem for US grads. The only drawback is the max time on it is 6 years (2x 3 year terms). After that, it expires, or converts to a green card. Only issue is to convert it to a green card, you need a job sponsor. So...

If you are doing a long post-grad program (surgery, IM fellowships), you have to have a job lined up before you finish, and that job has to be willing to sponsor your green card...

Ah Politics...

Bear

This is NOT true. I go to a US school and in order to get the H1B visa, you need step 3. The Difference is that you have a year to do it (because you can convert the F1 student visa for a year of Optional professional training [OPT]).

That said, getting the visa is never a problem for US grads. The only drawback is the max time on it is 6 years (2x 3 year terms). After that, it expires, or converts to a green card. Only issue is to convert it to a green card, you need a job sponsor. So...

If you are doing a long post-grad program (surgery, IM fellowships), you have to have a job lined up before you finish, and that job has to be willing to sponsor your green card...

Ah Politics...

Bear

it seems like the program you are signing up for will give you the H1B visa depending on if you pass the step 3 i presume then right? if you fail they will remove you from the program?

So wait a sec...

You guys are saying that getting a competitive speciality on an H1B as a canadian is totally doable if you manage to get some good board scores?

This might totally change my outlook on going to the USA for Med School...

The golden rule is, providing that you have the option, go to medical school in the country where you want to practice.

Just know that you are not closing any doors regarding practicing or doing residency regardless of what you choose. Simply be a good student, get a few H’s, good references, and do well on step 1.

You will, however, finish med school in Canada with ~100-200K less debt than in the US. That for me was the deciding factor in picking where to do my MD.

The golden rule is, providing that you have the option, go to medical school in the country where you want to practice.

Just know that you are not closing any doors regarding practicing or doing residency regardless of what you choose. Simply be a good student, get a few H’s, good references, and do well on step 1.

You will, however, finish med school in Canada with ~100-200K less debt than in the US. That for me was the deciding factor in picking where to do my MD.

I would like to add it totally possible to go to the US after you get an MD degree from Canada. 2 western students match really well in some top US hospitals. Mayo for neurology, Chicago for IM.

But that said, I would worry about getting in Canada first :) For some of us (low GPA/high mcat or mediocre GPA/MCAT), the states is the only place we can go :o

Western Residency 2006.pdf

So wait a sec...

You guys are saying that getting a competitive speciality on an H1B as a canadian is totally doable if you manage to get some good board scores?

This might totally change my outlook on going to the USA for Med School...

A US MD can open up many doors in medicine (I would say as many as any Canadian Med school -except the debt part). Try Canada first, but nothing is wrong in going to the south of the border. Just use this option before you go to Carribean/Irish/DO route.

I would not get too psyched up about that.....it's super-hard to get a US green card unless you've got some major connections and family members there. To provide an example, my grandfather is a very famous scientist, arguably one of the best in his field (astrophysics), and yet after spending 5 years at NASA he was this close to being deported. His work visa expired and the process of issuing a new one was so demanding that NASA refused to do it for him, and when it came to getting a green card, he dealt with siilar obstacles. I don't remember the exact details, but he was in a position where he sat on packed suitcases for 6 months with no idea what was going to happen. He did, however, get the green card eventually, and later citizenship, but he says it took a year out of his life to make that happen. And that was BEFORE 9/11.

I lived in the States for 5 years on a student visa, and in their eyes, I'm as close to getting a green card as someone who just landed in the Miami airport for a 1-week tropical vacation.:rolleyes:

I would not get too psyched up about that.....it's super-hard to get a US green card unless you've got some major connections and family members there. To provide an example, my grandfather is a very famous scientist, arguably one of the best in his field (astrophysics), and yet after spending 5 years at NASA he was this close to being deported. His work visa expired and the process of issuing a new one was so demanding that NASA refused to do it for him, and when it came to getting a green card, he dealt with siilar obstacles. I don't remember the exact details, but he was in a position where he sat on packed suitcases for 6 months with no idea what was going to happen. He did, however, get the green card eventually, and later citizenship, but he says it took a year out of his life to make that happen. And that was BEFORE 9/11.

I lived in the States for 5 years on a student visa, and in their eyes, I'm as close to getting a green card as someone who just landed in the Miami airport for a 1-week tropical vacation.:rolleyes:

the BIG difference here is we have canadian citizenship. I think it might be easier for Canadians to get a green card. But yes it's not that easy. the best way for me would be marrying an american woman !

Archived