Premed 101 Forums

Practising in the States?

acemd

the BIG difference here is we have canadian citizenship.

It doesn't make much of a difference. An American friend of mine married a Canadian and it took them 2 years of paperwork before he were able to move to the States permanently, even though she was an American citizen. For the first 2 years before their marriage was finally "legitimized" in the eyes of the immigration law, he was treated as if they were not married when it came to immigration issues - which is no different than if he were a citizen of, say, Chile.

They can treat you worse based on your citizenship (say, if you are from Pakistan or another country believed to be closely linked to terrorism), but not better.

EDIT: Haha, I gave a good example considering your recent edit about the marriage thing! :P;)

This is NOT true. I go to a US school and in order to get the H1B visa, you need step 3. The Difference is that you have a year to do it (because you can convert the F1 student visa for a year of Optional professional training [OPT]).

That said, getting the visa is never a problem for US grads. The only drawback is the max time on it is 6 years (2x 3 year terms). After that, it expires, or converts to a green card. Only issue is to convert it to a green card, you need a job sponsor. So...

If you are doing a long post-grad program (surgery, IM fellowships), you have to have a job lined up before you finish, and that job has to be willing to sponsor your green card...

Ah Politics...

Bear

About getting a job sponsor. How would that work for a family doctor or any non-hospital worker speciality (ie: not pathology)? Aren't they basically "self-employed"?

It still cannot be THAT hard for a canadian born doctor (read: shortage) to get a green card...

Specially if he studied in the US?

I think it might be. It's too bad moo is working zillion hour shifts as a first year resident or he might be able to shed some light on this. He did his MD at a top 15 US school and then returned to Canada for residency. I'm too lazy to dig up his old posts but I believe he expressed some woes about getting an H1B (but don't take my word for it).

I think it might be easier once you are fully licensed. I have worked with a couple of docs who did all their training in Canada (MD + residency) then went south for fellowships and got their US licenses at that time. Some of them have returned to work in the US seemingly without much trouble.

For you folks heading south for meds I wouldn’t worry too much about this. Make sure you do some electives in Canada in order to keep that option open and then you can carpet bomb both CaRMS and NRMP with applications and you’ll have an excellent chance of getting what you want.

I think it might be. It's too bad moo is working zillion hour shifts as a first year resident or he might be able to shed some light on this. He did his MD at a top 15 US school and then returned to Canada for residency. I'm too lazy to dig up his old posts but I believe he expressed some woes about getting an H1B (but don't take my word for it).

I think it might be easier once you are fully licensed. I have worked with a couple of docs who did all their training in Canada (MD + residency) then went south for fellowships and got their US licenses at that time. Some of them have returned to work in the US seemingly without much trouble.

For you folks heading south for meds I wouldn’t worry too much about this. Make sure you do some electives in Canada in order to keep that option open and then you can carpet bomb both CaRMS and NRMP with applications and you’ll have an excellent chance of getting what you want.

moo went to northwestern and i think is doing a FM in Alberta. From his posts I remember him saying how he did poorly than expected in his boards. I think his boards and combined with the fact that he applied to west coast schools made getting an H 1B visa harder. West coast schools are notriously hard to get residency at, even for American students. Moo did comment on how he got tons of interviews at Canadian schools for anesthesiology (a pretty comp residency in Canada)

dig premed101.com its all in there somewhere :)

Edit: I promise to keep you guys updated in the next 4 years about my struggles ;)

Just wanted to add. That this hurdle should not stop anyone from applying down south. Sure, it's not easy...but it's POSSIBLE :). Going to the states is a MUCH better option than ireland and carrib for an MD.

It may be better than the caribbean (I don't really know), but I wouldn't say it's light-years better than Ireland. I know of a few Irish trained docs who are great at what they do (from what I've heard of them and from my outsiders POV). I'm not sure, but I imagine their schools would be on-par with English schools, and I'm sure that Oxford and Cambridge are kinda-ok places to go. (I realize there will be a disparity between the 'top-tier' schools and the others, I just am not sure that they're so far behind).

Although, depending on where you live, it is on the whole a bit farther than the US...

It may be better than the caribbean (I don't really know), but I wouldn't say it's light-years better than Ireland. I know of a few Irish trained docs who are great at what they do (from what I've heard of them and from my outsiders POV). I'm not sure, but I imagine their schools would be on-par with English schools, and I'm sure that Oxford and Cambridge are kinda-ok places to go. (I realize there will be a disparity between the 'top-tier' schools and the others, I just am not sure that they're so far behind).

Although, depending on where you live, it is on the whole a bit farther than the US...

I think he meant for anyone who wants to practice in the USA or Canada, US schools are much better than Carib or Ireland because they are both encompassed by the same licensing body so you won't be considered FMG.

In terms of raw quality of education it's impossible to compare European schools to North American ones. But I think that it is certain that a North American MD will better prepare you to practice medicine in North America than an MD from Europe.

As Whitetiger points out Canadian citizen US trained MDs are NOT considered IMGs but Ireland trained ones are. There is a very good reason for this (which might have little to do with the quality of education).

Certainly any North American MD is better than what you'll receive in the carib. And my own personal opinion, having done two degrees at Oxford, is that North American training (any LCME accredited school) is superior to anything you might find in the UK (including Ox-bridge). But that just me :)

I agree with sonyvaio – If you have any desire to practice in Canada it’s best to exhaust North American options first before looking elsewhere.

In terms of raw quality of education it's impossible to compare European schools to North American ones. But I think that it is certain that a North American MD will better prepare you to practice medicine in North America than an MD from Europe.

you get an MBBS from european schools not MD because students enter med school right after high school

Archived