Premed 101 Forums

When does Caribbean app cycle start?

Yeah, why?

I just think before you start applying to the Caribbean, you should really try the Canadian system a couple of times, then American before you go there. I understand it can be a pain trying to practice in Canada if you don't receive your medical education in Canada.

I just think before you start applying to the Caribbean, you should really try the Canadian system a couple of times, then American before you go there. I understand it can be a pain trying to practice in Canada if you don't receive your medical education in Canada.

I agree.

1) Canada first

2) America second

everything else third

Especially if you want to specialize into something like surgery, derm, radiology. Even though Caribs can give you an MD degree, you will most likely be stuck doing FM. Going into those types of comp speciality is difficult for an American Carb grad, and down right impossible for a Canadian Carb grad.

I am not sure about the costs of a Carb MD...but they arent that much diff comp to US either right?

Ummmm......does he need a reason to ask?

Well, not really, but I was just wondering, since it seems fairly obvious that I am if I'm asking about it.:P No worries!

Kuantum, I think I'd rather apply everywhere and get in for sure next year.....I already ended up having 2 years in between undergrad and med without doing anything particularly exciting - and that's 2 years if I get in during next year's app cycle! I can't imagine having to wait longer. I've figured out what to do with my time during those 2 years (get a second degree while working part-time), but I don't want to have to do it again. It would be different if I were pursuing a good career in the meantime, but I can't do that because I still have a few pre-reqs to finish, which means I can't work 9 to 5, so I'm limited to whatever pays the bills, which ain't all that fulfilling.

Even though Caribs can give you an MD degree, you will most likely be stuck doing FM.

I AM interested in FM, actually. I would, of course, consider other things - after all, how can I know for sure what I want until after I get in and do my electives - but FM is definitely on my priority list.

Madz, thanks for that tidbit. I know I should do my own research once the winter break starts, but it's easier to do when you have a general idea of what's going on. I guess if their schools accept students 3-4x a year, I can wait until I find out from US/Canadian schools before deciding to apply in the Caribbean, and still get in during that year.

I AM interested in FM, actually. I would, of course, consider other things - after all, how can I know for sure what I want until after I get in and do my electives - but FM is definitely on my priority list.

Madz, thanks for that tidbit. I know I should do my own research once the winter break starts, but it's easier to do when you have a general idea of what's going on. I guess if their schools accept students 3-4x a year, I can wait until I find out from US/Canadian schools before deciding to apply in the Caribbean, and still get in during that year.

I am not sure about your stats, but have you considered going the DO route. I still think that's better than Carb. In fact, I think Irish and Australian MD schools are also better than Carb for a Canadian student.

South Africa is also a consideration. Caribbean should not be exercised too quickly. Also, which is more important to you? Being a doctor, or being a doctor who is sure in his/her education has prepared them for treating people. Personally, I'd choose the latter.

I am pretty positive that I've read many times on this forum that Caribbean grads are just as educated as US or Canadian.

I wouldn't go to South Africa....I've had enough race drama during my years in the States.:P

South Africa is also a consideration. Caribbean should not be exercised too quickly. Also, which is more important to you? Being a doctor, or being a doctor who is sure in his/her education has prepared them for treating people. Personally, I'd choose the latter.

What's the point of either of those situations if you can't practice??? I think Caribbean med school education is just as good as US/Canada and I'm sure it's good in South Africa too. The issue becomes which route allows easier integration into the North American healthcare system.

Jochi - no probs! I know someone who applied in June and got accepted for September of the same year. So you can wait until you hear back from Canadian/US schools before applying to caribbean.

What's the point of either of those situations if you can't practice??? I think Caribbean med school education is just as good as US/Canada and I'm sure it's good in South Africa too. The issue becomes which route allows easier integration into the North American healthcare system.

Jochi - no probs! I know someone who applied in June and got accepted for September of the same year. So you can wait until you hear back from Canadian/US schools before applying to caribbean.

Hey Madz, you make a good point, but I think if you were to go to International institutions, you should go to those places instead. South Africa has some world class hospitals. I'm sure you know the world's first heart transplant was performed in South Africa. Also, Singapore recently started a medical education program in conjunction with Duke University. I'm sure that the Caribbean isn't terrible, but I see a lot more doctors from South Africa, Ireland, UK practicing in Canada than the Caribbean.

I think most students from the Caribbean end up staying in the US rather than coming to Canada. I have no doubt that medical programs in other countries are terrific...I think its just easier to work in North America by going to the Caribbean...so personally, I would try the Caribbean route first.

I think most students from the Caribbean end up staying in the US rather than coming to Canada. I have no doubt that medical programs in other countries are terrific...I think its just easier to work in North America by going to the Caribbean...so personally, I would try the Caribbean route first.

hey madz, what do you think about DO schools compared to Caribbean?

hey madz, what do you think about DO schools compared to Caribbean?

Hey,

I actually didnt even know about DO schools until I applied to the US. I never considered them. I think DO schools are different...and I've always been interested in getting an MD. I know a lot of people use DO as a backup but personally, if you're interested in allopathic medicine (MD) then going to a DO school would be a waste of time and money. If you're intersted in DO or wouldn't mind getting a DO instead of MD then I think DO is a better option than Caribbean. Also, since there are no DO schools in Canada, I don't know how easy it would be to come back and work in Canada. MD and DO are different...so I don't think you can compare DO to Caribbean...it just depends on what you want.

Madz

• 1 month later...

Omg... sooo confused rite now... okay.. so some ppl say it is easier to get a residency if you r from a caribbean school cuz u end up doing ur last two yrs of clinical in the states any way and i have read stories about ppl being pre-approved for their residency during their clinicals in US.. granted u have to do ur canadian exams as well.. but atleast u have a spot n practice in america...

on the other hand.. if u go to a place like ireland say... then u have to start after 4 yrs of med to look for a residency in US or Canada... doesn't this sound tougher to do????

Yes, it does sound tougher to do...but the thing with UK/Australia is that you can go to these schools right after high school. You don't have to do undergrad first. In that way, you're saving 4 years (if you consider it a waste to do undergrad). For this reason, you get a MBBS degree there and not MD (which you would get in Caribbean)...not that MBBS vs MD matters in the long run. You probably wont have many problems coming back from UK/Australia if you want to do FM but I don't know anyone that has gone there so I can't really say for sure. Students go there so they must be able to come back and work in North America, otherwise why would people still apply? I just think it may be easier working in North America if you go to Caribbean since you do your clinical rotations in the US anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

The UK and Ireland now have graduate entry programmes in medicine that are the same length (ie. four years) as North American programmes. The MBBS vs. MD thing doesn't really matter, I don't think. If you write the appropriate exams, you're pretty much in the same boat as any other international student. Of course, there are some terrifying statistics for finding placements in North America if you've studied abroad, but I think that's because so many people who want to come practice here are ESL, which complicates things.

I know several people who have gone to the UK to study medicine in amazing schools. Sure, the path becomes a little more difficult, but I'm sure its worth it in the long run.

• 3 weeks later...
I am not sure about your stats, but have you considered going the DO route. I still think that's better than Carb. In fact, I think Irish and Australian MD schools are also better than Carb for a Canadian student.

Does anyone know how the rating hierarchy goes for applying to international MD schools after USA? I thought Caribean was the next best thing, but I may be wrong.

________

MERCEDES-BENZ W126 SPECIFICATIONS

I think that if you want to do family medicine, isn't a DO better than Caribbean? Or will you have problems finding a job as a doctor?

If you want to do FM, I don't think you'll have a problem finding a job whether you do DO, caribbean, or australia/uk etc.

Archived