Premed 101 Forums

US medschools require a math pre-req?

w...b

my gf told me she just read this on some US medschool sites. i was wondering if a STATS course would be ok for this pre-req. also does anyone know if its a full or half course.

thanks

STATS count as a math course. I took both Stat220H1, Sta221H1 at uoft (with mr. vukov, he is awesome!). Together they were considered a full course (or 6 credits).

I think you should be fine with the math requirment. I remember only relatively few schools (2-5 schools) having this requirement anyways. Even if you dont have it, most let you take it in the summer before you start meds.

other possible requirements that you see:

English (6 credits)

Biology (6 credits, 2 lab credits)

Physics (6 credits, 2 lab credits)

General chemistry (6 credits, 2 lab credits)

Organic chemistry (6 credits, 2 lab credits)

It all depends on the individual school. Some schools will consider some courses ok for the math credit, other may not.

Best bet, buy the 2007 MSAR and then see which schools have the math requirement. Then contact those schools to see what courses they will accept for it. Yeah you have to spend some money for the book but you are apply to US med schools... so get used to it!

It all depends on the individual school. Some schools will consider some courses ok for the math credit, other may not.

Best bet, buy the 2007 MSAR and then see which schools have the math requirement. Then contact those schools to see what courses they will accept for it. Yeah you have to spend some money for the book but you are apply to US med schools... so get used to it!

i also recommend USNews.com...that's a terrific site...but IMO both are a must.

2007 MSAR is at the uoft bookstore for those of you who are interested in buying it (or quickly just taking a look ;) )

What about Calculus? You've probably already taken it, since it's a pre-req for many science courses.

I recall reading on a few schools' websites that they require Calc (U of Minnesota?).

those schools that require Calculus are very few...perhaps, U of Min is probably the only one...

the only pre-req I could never meet was USC. They require something like 5 credits of humanites. That's equal to a full year of philosophy, eng, type courses. Blah...I went out of my way to avoid those ;)

1) you have to check with individual schools whether or not math is a requirement and how many credits of math are needed (websites, MSAR etc.). you also have to check with them if you can substitute other math courses (ie stats) as fulfilling the prereqs.

2) no substitutions for english that im aware of. you have to suffer through it!

2) no substitutions for english that im aware of. you have to suffer through it!

Whatever man, English was fun!!! It was nice not to be in the lab and not to freak out about whether the marks would get curved or not for once. I didn't do sh!t (well, compared to the workload in, say, organic chemistry) and got a solid A in both courses.:cool:

• 3 weeks later...
those schools that require Calculus are very few...perhaps, U of Min is probably the only one...

the only pre-req I could never meet was USC. They require something like 5 credits of humanites. That's equal to a full year of philosophy, eng, type courses. Blah...I went out of my way to avoid those ;)

Numerous schools (i.e. 1/4-1/3, including many of the top ones) require calculus. Nothing will sub for it, other than a high enough AP Calc score.

Archived