Premed 101 Forums

format

MMI: multiple-mini interview

you talk to several panal interviewers for like 10mins individually, i think they give you ethic scenarios and each of them gives you a rating. they use it because its more efficient use of time for interviewers and if you mess up with one person, it won't hurt you too much. This is from a hazy memory so don't quote me on this.

I'm fairly sure uofm doesn't have this, i think mcmaster has it (i'm not sure if any others do).

MMI: multiple-mini interview

you talk to several panal interviewers for like 10mins individually, i think they give you ethic scenarios and each of them gives you a rating. they use it because its more efficient use of time for interviewers and if you mess up with one person, it won't hurt you too much. This is from a hazy memory so don't quote me on this.

I'm fairly sure uofm doesn't have this, i think mcmaster has it (i'm not sure if any others do).

They are (were?) considering a switch this year. Some people who interviewed last year went through it as a test-run. I just thought maybe someone had heard one way or another what's going down.

In MMI, don't they throw you in a room with an actor and watch you through a 2-way mirror?

In MMI, don't they throw you in a room with an actor and watch you through a 2-way mirror?

Not at U of M. I went through it at U of M last year as part of the trial. No 2-ways nor do they even have that many 2-way mirror rooms. They only have one in psych health I believe, that's fairly small.

• 1 month later...

Looks like they're staying with the traditional panel format for this year.

From the med website:

March 2007 Medical Admissions Interviews

The regular category interviews are conducted by a three-person panel. This interview will be used to score the applicant. The panel normally includes a practicing physician, a member of the university community, and a senior undergraduate medical student. The interviews last 50-60 minutes and are audio-taped. Interviewers will have portions of the applicant’s supplementary application, essay and referee reports but not the applicant’s university grades or MCAT scores.

The interview committee usually consists of a chair appointed by the Admissions Committee, a basic scientist, a practicing physician, and a senior undergraduate student. Usually at least one member of the committee has been admitted to Medicine through Special Consideration. The committee has before it the entire academic record of the applicant, MCAT scores, biography, and reference letters. The interview lasts 50-60 minutes and is audio-taped. The interview follows the format and process of the regular category except that the academic record of the applicant is available and is a subject of inquiry by the committee.

I'm assuming that the second paragraph is talking about Special Consideration interviews.

Archived