Premed 101 Forums

Interview offers?

Hi all - when does UofA send out interview offers? Is it by email or post mail? On their website they say that interviews are conducted during February UofA Reading Week, but there's no mention of when offers are sent out...sorry if this was already discussed.

Here's some info I found in past threads:

Fox wrote this:

This is my understanding of the admissions process (it changed a little this year). The first round of interviews (200 people) were held in Feb. and were only for people with a degree or who will complete their degree in April. There are 100 positions at U of A for this pool. 64 of those people were offered admission in March. I think the rest of the interviewees will be reevaluated after this year's marks are in, so how they do this semester may be a make-it or break-it situation. The second round of interviews (someone correct me if this isn't the case) are for 2/3 year applicants only. There are 25 positions for these students who are being interviewed in May. As for as I know, fourth year+ interviews are all done, but U of A takes a really long time to send out their refusal letters. Hope this helps.

ok, this is how it works. for each component of the application you get a certain number of points. so for gpa (pre-req) it is worth 25% of your overall ranking.... that equates to (for example, i really don't know) say a total of 1000 points for a perfect gpa (last year i saw the points total and people at the top had around 2500, so that's why i am making this number up). so, if your gpa was 8.5, you would get a certain number of points for that part of the application (less than 1000). same for mcat and overall gpa (which are worth a certain number of points (say maybe 500 and 350, respectively), but less than pre-req gpa). your ref letters, essay and interview are scored the same way. last year they were scored out of 5, so if you get 3.5/5 on your interview that is worth a certain number of points (interview counts for as much as the pre-req gpa, so a perfect interview would get 1000 points, 3.5/5 would be, say, 750). anyway, when the ad com meets each applicant has their point total and is ranked accordingly. the first 64 people (those with the 64 hihgest point totals) on the list were offered admission (basically as far as i know the ad com is there just to make sure the candidate is qualified and there is nothing shady about the application). so, having said all that, the second time the ad com meets this summer, everyone in the four year pool still waiting will have their scores adjusted for pre-reqs and overall gpa based on the marks including this year. so, unless you do REALLY well or REALLY poorly, your position in that list won't change that much. but, for someone who was near the bottom of the final 100 who will be offered admission, may move up a few with a really good semester. does this all make sense? besides the essay, ref letters, and interview, there isn't really much subjectivity concerning the u of a admissions process. once your points are totalled you're either in or you're not (so i've been told). so you can kind of see how a really good interview and letter may boost you up a lot of spots in the ranking since the variation in GPA between candidates won't be that much. it also shows why/how one or two points can separate successful and unsuccessful applicants. i hope this is clear and if i am wrong in any way, feel free to correct me. this is what i was told last year by marlene.

Oh and, for the last cycle, invites went out at the end of January/beginning of February for interviews scheduled 3 weeks into February.

http://www.med.ualberta.ca/education/ugme/admissions/dofm_interview.cfm

"Applicants will be notified regarding interview by the end of January beginning of February.

Interviews will be conducted in February (usually the third week of February - Reading Week for the University of Alberta). The Committee is aware that out-of-province applicants encounter considerable expense in traveling to Alberta and appreciates that many applicants will have interviews by other medical schools. Therefore,The Office of Admissions will attempt to match the date of the Alberta interview with the applicants traveling schedule."

http://www.med.ualberta.ca/education/ugme/admissions/dofm_interview.cfm

"Applicants will be notified regarding interview by the end of January beginning of February.

Interviews will be conducted in February (usually the third week of February - Reading Week for the University of Alberta). The Committee is aware that out-of-province applicants encounter considerable expense in traveling to Alberta and appreciates that many applicants will have interviews by other medical schools. Therefore,The Office of Admissions will attempt to match the date of the Alberta interview with the applicants traveling schedule."

Thanks, but I was wondering about the source of Alberta no longer giving acceptances to 4th year applicants much earlier than usual.

When we all found out last year, everyone was notified on May 15th, and that included 4th year applications as well as 2/3 yr. Also, the 2/3 yr interviews were held in February as well, during Reading Week. In fact, Andrea (admission officer) told me that all of the western Canadian medical schools notified their applications on May 15th.

Doesn't that seem so late to be notified? It seems late to me. I know that that's when it is, but it just seems so late in the game considering you may have already had to make other plans for that September. Don't get me wrong, if I were accepted, my plans would certainly be cancelled if I were accepted, butyou'd think, since the interviews are in February, they could at least let you know by the end of April, when school's out for most applicants and they are preparing to apply for loans/more school for the fall.

The reason that the U of A switched around the acceptance notification timing is that the rest of the Canadian medical schools all notify around May 15 as well. What ended up happening is that people would accept the U of A's offer early on, then back out later when they got in somewhere else. What happened one recent year is that they went through the entire waitlist during the summer and had to offer some really late interviews to get the class filled. So now, they tell around the same time as other schools, and they require a large nonrefundable deposit ($1000) to hold your spot.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, I just had probably the worst day ever. My marks finally popped up, and they kinda messed up on calculations, my cGPA was apparently a 3.3, and they didn't use my higher level upgrades to calculate my pre-req GPA, so it was also a 3.3. And then my mice didn't come in, so I have to delay an experiment by two weeks, and apparently I have a grant application due today. Awesome. On the upside, I called the registrar and they fixed the GPA, so it's now a 3.5 for both pre-req and cGPA...but besides that the day is not improving. Sorry all, needed to vent there. I feel much better now. :)

Hey guys, I'm pretty sure that their deadline for having the marks up is February 1st, so don't panic if they're not up yet, mine just showed up on Friday. I think the same people are calculating the GPAs for all of the Med and Dent applicants, as well as occupational therapy, nursing, and physiotherapy etc etc(but don't quote me on that) so there is quite a backlog of applicants. And no, you won't find these GPAs on beartracks, just use the link from a couple posts up.

Archived