Premed 101 Forums

Question for grad applicants past/present

Guest FUBAR514

Guest FUBAR514

Unlike undergrad where you typically apply in your 4th year, the best time to apply isn't as clear in grad school because of the different start dates (Sept, Jan and June for U of T at least). I will be applying in September but by then, I will have only completed a quarter of my required course load with, likely, no publications by then.

In addition to a less than stellar undergrad transcript but a good MCAT score, I would think it would be better to apply a year later when all my courses are completed, have 1 or 2 publications under the belt. Keeping all these in mind, other grad applicants here say it's worth a shot... Seems like everyone is in a crazy rush to get into med school.

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Generally, if you have a weaker undergraduate record, then it would behoove you to apply with evidence of strong graduate productivity, i.e., high graduate course marks coupled with publications and/or presentations. That would mean deferring your application to medical schools until you can accumulate that evidence. However, applying early would provide at least one advantage, that is, to hone your application and gain experience (and potentially feedback) re: the application process.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest svp2k5

I was in a similar situation as you last year. I started grad school last may, and i applied last october for med school, with no publications, and only one class finished (my degree is primarily thesis based, only requiring two credits).

You should probably apply this year. Even if you suspect you won't get in, it doesn't hurt to apply. It'll cost you a couple of hundred dollars, but its worth it to give yourself another shot at med school.

Guest avarrin2001

I agree that it is worth the shot... if you have the money and the extra time. The thing is, will you be finished on time? If you do apply this year, and are accepted for September 2006, will you have all of your degree requirements completed? Some schools, such as NOMS, dont even consider your graduate work if you are not finished your degree by the October that you apply (that would be october 2005 for you if you apply)... I completely disagree with this and got bit in the butt because of this annoying rule this year >: .

Regardless of some of these crazy rules, most schools will not take you if you do not finish your degree before admission..true, some allow deferrals, but not always the case. As well, NOMS, UofT, and Ottawa (if you are considered as a grad student)) require a letter from your advisor saying that he/she is aware of your application and that you will have completed your degree by the summer of your admission year.

I was in the same situation you find yourself in. I didnt apply until this, my second year, of my MSc. People are correct in saying it is worth the shot, and it really is. However, applicatins take a lot of energy... can you afford to take this time away from research/courses, etc? What I did, and recommend, is concentrate on your graduate degree. I managed to get a first author paper (well, its accepted with minor revisions... knock on wood), presented at numerous conferences, and enjoyed my volunteer positions.

Make your grad degree something you are proud..not just something you did as a plan B until plan A (med school) worked out...even tho, admittedly, this is exactly why i started my grad degree. I am defending my thesis in two days, so perhaps that is why i feel all attached and like i have made an accomplishment. But honestly, i will never regret doing this degree. Yes, I did it as a back up plan when med didnt work out for me the first time around, but I received three interviews this year, which is a big step up from two years ago (0 interviews! :( )

Right now, waiting an extra year might seem like a large time period. But really, when you are 60 will you care if you started med at 25 rather than 24? (guessing at your age, obviously)

Either way, I am sure you will make the decision that is best for you. I guess my advice is this: treat your grad degree as priority. It will serve you well. Make it something you are proud of...that way if (god forbid) medicine doesnt work out for some reason, you have a solid degree with good references and a nice CV to back you up. Take it one step at a time... a grad degree now, med school next ;) And, finally, realise that many people never finish their degree at exactly the time they expect (most often the fault of their supervisor)... which is fine, but in reality, many, many people end up adding an extra term (myself included), just keep that in mind...and have fun with it! ;)

Archived