Premed 101 Forums

Hey,

It could be that there are more CMGs this year than ever before and I'm sure now that CaRMS is open to IMGs as well, that will also inflate the numbers. Add in a few extra backup plans in response to the increased demand for spots and you probably have your answer.

Hey,

Possible re: the larger number of Canadian grads, but the IMGs and CMGs are not in direct competition for one another for the same spots. (If they were that would be completely mad since some programs have received over 100 IMG applications for one or two spots.)

Cheers,

Kirsteen

• 2 weeks later...

Mac has 6 ortho spots this year. Plus an IMG spot. And god knows how many foreign funded IMG spots. That said, this year does look bad for ortho relatively speaking.

I was told by someone reliable that there were 75 ortho applicants this year for a total of 66 spots. Hopefully, some of them are using ortho as a backup.

Good luck with the interivews.

In 2006 there was 57 people who listed it as their first choice discipline with 60 available spots. 95% of people matched to the discipline with 2 unmatched seats after the entire match. Perhaps you all should wait until the official stats come out for this year before the friend of a friend rumors get started!

Mac has 6 ortho spots this year. Plus an IMG spot. And god knows how many foreign funded IMG spots. That said, this year does look bad for ortho relatively speaking.

I was told by someone reliable that there were 75 ortho applicants this year for a total of 66 spots. Hopefully, some of them are using ortho as a backup.

Good luck with the interivews.

Oh, definitely. From my very little sample size (out of 5 friends in 4th year applying to surgery), 4 of them got ortho as a back-up plan. It's anecdotal, but just felt like sharing this.

Who would have thought such a crazy system could determine ones future career! That being said it seems like all in all unless you are the bottom of the barrel applicant you can be reasonably happy in some program in your chosen field... That is what I choose to tell myself as I am 5 years away from there (hopefully 5 ;))

Archived