Premed 101 Forums

Manitoba interview

Can anyone here, who has interviewed at Manitoba before, give me an idea of how the interview is? For example, last year I inerviewed at UBC and all they asked me were some basic "getting to know you" questions and a little bit on integrity and did not even touch on anything ethics related. What type of things does Manitoba focus on? Current events? Lots of ethics? I just want to know so I'll have an idea of what to focus on more while preparing. Thanks!

The only question I remember being asked was how would I allocate the limited flu vaccine if a flu pandemic were to happen in Canada. I think they may have asked why I want to be a doctor...I blocked out Manitoba's interview - it was my worst one. There was this interviewer with a thick chinese accent and I COULD NOT understand what he was saying..I had to ask him to repeat a question 3 times and then I attempted to answer it even though I still had no clue what he was asking. Manitoba also had 4 people on the interview panel...and that's all I remember.

• 2 weeks later...

Madz25: As you get further into your career in medicine, you will realize that both your preceptors and patients will come from all walks of life and cultural backgrounds. You will have to interact with patients who do not speak english at all or perhaps even patients who can't speak. To say that you interviewed poorly at Manitoba because someone had an "accent" is rather immature.

From what I remember, the interview was very relaxed. A lot of the questions were "How would you feel/react if...". A few questions were related to current health issues like obesity and waitlist times. A few were about myself in general. There's standard questions they pick for that year that they ask everyone and you're "graded" on the answers you give. Just think it through and try and incorporate as many different angles as possible and you'll be fine. There were 3 people in my panel, and one seemed to be the designated tough guy, one was more holistic, and the third seemed more interested in getting to what you really believed. Overall, it was fair and would have probably been enjoyable if I weren't so stressed out. I actually got a little lippy a few times, but it all worked out in the end, so just be honest.

To say that you interviewed poorly at Manitoba because someone had an "accent" is rather immature.

That's a little unfair to Madz. Besides, her worst interview is probably better than average :P.

She's been really helpful to me and a ton of others throughout the boards, which is why I'm posting this. :)

BTW, good luck answering a question you can't hear/understand.

Madz25: As you get further into your career in medicine, you will realize that both your preceptors and patients will come from all walks of life and cultural backgrounds. You will have to interact with patients who do not speak english at all or perhaps even patients who can't speak. To say that you interviewed poorly at Manitoba because someone had an "accent" is rather immature.

WOW.

I'm not saying I did poorly because the guy had an accent. I grew up in Toronto where there are tons of immigrants AND I'm an immigrant myself! It wasn't his fault - it was my fault. I was already nervous for the interview but to not understand the question and having to keep asking again threw me off. I felt that the interviewers thought badly of me since I kept asking. There were other reasons as well why my interview went badly but that event REALLY threw me so it's the only one I can recall now. Sorry if the post sounded racist but I didn't mean it like that.

Anyway, if an interview goes terribly it's usually the interviewees fault and I'm well aware of that.

I can agree with Madz. I once was interviewed for a job by someone who had a very strong accent. I had to continuously ask him to repeat the question and I didn't want to seem rude, so I attempted to answer, even though I was still unsure about what he was saying. It was kind of uncomfortable for both of us. And for something like a med school interview, not being able to understand the interviewer makes an already stressful situation even worse.

Archived