Premed 101 Forums

Canadian student who attended two universities

labrat

I'm from University of Toronto, and I'm about to transfer into a "different program" at University of Waterloo.

How would American medical schools view this?

Would they require me to send transcripts from both universities or the recent one?

Technically you can "hide your transcripts" from UofW. If you took courses that you did not transfer to UofT (aka no record other than with UofW) then it is difficult for AMCAS (or schools) to find out. Some ppl do take that risk. But the consequences of getting caught are pretty deadly :( .

Technically you can "hide your transcripts" from UofW. If you took courses that you did not transfer to UofT (aka no record other than with UofW) then it is difficult for AMCAS (or schools) to find out. Some ppl do take that risk. But the consequences of getting caught are pretty deadly :( .

I'd imagine they would be.

I'd imagine they would be.

I bet it's feasible to find out....just thinking about my student loans - there is definitely a record of schools I attended and classes I took with Canada student loans, and I imagine that if you applied for loans for med (and most will), it could easily come up.

Not to mention the academic circles, especially in Canada, are narrow.

Also, if you transfer to another university....I wonder if they'd send the transcript from your original university with their own when you apply.

Besides, even if you slipped through the cracks....that's a secret you'd have to keep for the rest of your life from your colleagues. I'm sure if it came up after your admission, your offer would be revoked/you'd be expelled, and I would NOT be surprised that if it came up years later in your medical career, it could lead to losing your license as well. In another profession, it might be something that could fly under the radar, but with the emphasis on honesty required in medicine, it's just too much of a risk.

Heck, I can never keep a secret!:D

If you have grades you regret at your prior institution, I think a better way to deal with it would be to retake those courses, because a lot of times schools will average the grades.

Archived