Premed 101 Forums

NSERC/Research + McMaster GPA

Avinash

I have two questions. The first question is about NSERC. From what I understand, most NSERC Awards are given to students in upper year study, or students with great research background. I am in second year, and don't really have much research experience...yet. My marks are competitive for an NSERC, but I think the experience will be a major factor. How do I go about getting research experience for future NSERC Applications? I'd like a summer job in my field of biochemistry, as opposed to my normal unrelated summer work. How do I find out if professors need summer students(not NSERC) or are there any lab-based companies that would hire students?

My second question is about the McMaster GPA conversion. We use the 12 point scale, which I believe is unique to our University. I want to convert my GPA to the 4.0 scale, but I haven't a clue how to do it. There is a chart here: http://careers.mcmaster.ca/students/education-planning/virtual-resources/gpa-conversion-chart but it only states whole numbers. What if my 12 average is 10.6, how should I convert that to 4.0 scale?

I have two questions. The first question is about NSERC. From what I understand, most NSERC Awards are given to students in upper year study, or students with great research background. I am in second year, and don't really have much research experience...yet. My marks are competitive for an NSERC, but I think the experience will be a major factor. How do I go about getting research experience for future NSERC Applications? I'd like a summer job in my field of biochemistry, as opposed to my normal unrelated summer work. How do I find out if professors need summer students(not NSERC) or are there any lab-based companies that would hire students?

My second question is about the McMaster GPA conversion. We use the 12 point scale, which I believe is unique to our University. I want to convert my GPA to the 4.0 scale, but I haven't a clue how to do it. There is a chart here: http://careers.mcmaster.ca/students/education-planning/virtual-resources/gpa-conversion-chart but it only states whole numbers. What if my 12 average is 10.6, how should I convert that to 4.0 scale?

For your grades, I'd recomment looking at the OMSAS grade conversion booklet.

http://www.ouac.on.ca/omsas/omsas-answers.html

Click on "Conversation Table 2007". It says that for Mac, you use your letter grade to convert to a 4.0 scale.

I had ZERO research experience when I got my first NSERC. If your grades are competitive, you might get an interview. You have to show them that you are interested in research. If you don't get one, you should approach some of your professors (or TAs, they are great for this) and ask if you can help out in the lab. Even if you just clean dishes, you can eventually begin helping out on some projects.

You might also want to check out some pharmaceutical companies (if you are interested in that). They are the only ones I know that offer summer employment.

For your grades, I'd recomment looking at the OMSAS grade conversion booklet.

http://www.ouac.on.ca/omsas/omsas-answers.html

Click on "Conversation Table 2007". It says that for Mac, you use your letter grade to convert to a 4.0 scale.

I had ZERO research experience when I got my first NSERC. If your grades are competitive, you might get an interview. You have to show them that you are interested in research. If you don't get one, you should approach some of your professors (or TAs, they are great for this) and ask if you can help out in the lab. Even if you just clean dishes, you can eventually begin helping out on some projects.

You might also want to check out some pharmaceutical companies (if you are interested in that). They are the only ones I know that offer summer employment.

by grade conversion booklet, do you mean grade conversion chart, or is there something i'm missing.

This is how I am calculating my 4.0 gpa now.

converting all my marks to the 4.0 scale and summing them up.

dividing the sum by (total number of courses x 4) and then multiplying the decimal answer by 4. Does that sound right?

yes i mean the grade conversion chart. It state that for mac, you use your letter grade to convert it to a 4.0 scale. If you are looking for your GPA for med school cutoffs and such, I think this is the conversion you want to use, not what you are doing. I'm not 100% sure though.

mac's works like this:

12 = 4.0

11 = 3.9

10 = 3.7

9 = 3.3

8 = 3

For every class, turn the number you got in that class into a value on the 4 scale.

So 5 12's, 3 11's, and 2 10's, would be:

(4+4+4+4+4+3.9+3.9+3.9+3.7+3.7)/10

That would give you your GPA for the year. Do that for every year. Then average it out between all years.

Thats how OMSAS does it. Then depending on the school, certain years/marks may be left out of the equation.

Pretty much what you did except for this part:

dividing the sum by (total number of courses x 4) and then multiplying the decimal answer by 4.

Dividing by 4 then multiplying by 4 doesn't get you very far.

Archived