Premed 101 Forums

Summer research interview questions

Draff

For the past two summers I worked as a research assistant. I can explain my work over the past summer in great detail, but when it comes to recalling what I did in 2005, I'm drawing a blank. :eek:

I can piece together a few bits here and there about the methodology... but beyond that, I wouldn't be able to explain the theory (I never had a strong background in the area of research - i.e. electrophysiology)

So do the interviewers generally grill you about your summer research? If so, do they expect you to know all of your research projects inside and out?

Hi there,

Anything that you inserted into your application is fair game when it comes to interviews. I experienced this during interviews a few years back: various interviewers dragged up all sorts of details from my application and asked questions about them. You may as well try to refresh your memory--you have little to lose and a lot to gain if you do.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

If you really cant remember, just make up a straightforward response to it and make it boring so they wont ask you anything further. or better yet, make up something you 'learned' from the experience. They cant really tell the difference between a good made-up answer and a real one .... just use as many real details as possible.

As long as you're able to come up with a rough idea of what you've done you should be alright. Why not contact the people you worked with to jog your memory?

Your interviewers won't have read your research which is why I say they're not going to grill you about the statistical analysis method you selected, etc etc but it could come up in a question (ie - tell me about this research project, what did you find most challenging, etc).

Your interviewers won't have read your research which is why I say they're not going to grill you about the statistical analysis method you selected, etc etc but it could come up in a question (ie - tell me about this research project, what did you find most challenging, etc).

Hi there,

Actually, regarding this some interviewers might get into some nitty-gritty of your past research--mine did. When I interviewed for a spot at UofT one of my interviewers spent about 15 minutes on the methodology used in one of the projects in which I was involved. In short, you're better off having a re-read of your research if it's been a while since you reviewed it. However, if the interviewers come up with terribly intricate questions, then also a response either explaining all the details or noting that it's been a while and some of the finer points may be a bit rusty.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Thanks for the responses..

There's no paper... yet. It looks like I'll have to go talk to the prof, if he ever has any free time that is. :eek:

I know the feeling... I am in the middle of writing 2 papers from research that I did during the summer and I am still lucky if I get a 5 line email back after waiting 2 weeks for a response.

According to interview feedback websites online, at UBC they ask you to "Teach me about [something from your application] in layman's terms" or "as if you were relating it to a ten-year-old child." It usually relates to your research, but could also be something technical from a hobby you have listed on your application.

For my CaRMS interviews and my fellowship interviews, I found considerable variation in how much I was asked about my research. In MOST cases, I was asked only very basic, cursory questions. I did run across a handful of programs where I was grilled in great detail about a project - usually where the interviewer had a special interest in the area. For example, I did a project in 4th year undergrad (1998-1999), and was intensely grilled on it when I applied for cardio fellowships (2006).

For most programs, it's probably not a big deal, but I'd advise you to refresh your memory, if only for your own peace of mind.

I've assembled a binder where I keep the abstracts for all of my research projects. I take this binder with me whenever I do interviews, and read over them the night before - again... mostly for my own peace of mind.

good luck!

I've assembled a binder where I keep the abstracts for all of my research projects. I take this binder with me whenever I do interviews, and read over them the night before - again... mostly for my own peace of mind.

That's good advice. I'll try to do that when I have time. Thanks!

Archived