Premed 101 Forums

Quitting master's in occupational therapy for medicine

Hi, I was wondering if any current medical students have quit the MOT program in order to enter medicine. I applied last year to medicine and did not get an interview so I applied to OT. I reapplied to medicine this year having been told that the requirement to complete the graduate degree was only for thesis based masters. But I now know this is not the case but have received an interview offer and was wondering what the chances are that the dean of admissions will let my application to go through. Thanks,

Josie

It depends on the school. Most medical schools will not approve of people jumping ship from their graduate degree, irregardless of whether there is a thesis. In interviews, you should be prepared not only why you are switching careers, but why you are quitting your degree. However, I know that some schools don't care, like McMaster, where I know at least one person that quit midway through their Masters in physiotherapy to attend medical school.

• 4 weeks later...

Was this at U of T medical school?

Hi, I was wondering if any current medical students have quit the MOT program in order to enter medicine. I applied last year to medicine and did not get an interview so I applied to OT. I reapplied to medicine this year having been told that the requirement to complete the graduate degree was only for thesis based masters. But I now know this is not the case but have received an interview offer and was wondering what the chances are that the dean of admissions will let my application to go through. Thanks,

Josie

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

hi im going into my first year in PT, with the intentions of going into med school. is it possible to apply during your 1st year. I know some med schools (ie. UofT) don't consider you unless you are in the process of completing your degree or have already completed it. Would it be a bad idea to apply this year or should I wait til next year to graduate before I apply? :confused:

Archived