Premed 101 Forums

I have kids- Should I not disclose it in interview?

Deferrals are rarely granted and usually only for very specific, often medical, reasons. If your intention is to apply and then request a deferral you should reconsider your decision.

Well, if Clobliss is planning on entering medical school in September unless health reasons related to her pregnancy occur, then I think she fits into the criteria for deferrals.

Ottawa has a similar policy and last time I checked, giving birth to a child pretty much counts as a medical situation. Also, as I previously stated, applicants under the CNFS program are accepted over and above the quota and so my application does not affect anybody else and is not "unfair" to any other applicant.

I did not mean to insinuate that having a child wouldn't count as a medical condition. I was simply pointing out that if your intention from the outset (as it seemed in one of your earlier posts: "mostly because that means I will be asking for a deferral") was to defer, I do not think it fair to any other people against whom you are competing (CNFS pool or otherwise). Given their policies, I would guess that med schools agree. Obviously if you fully intend on starting med school in September and would only ask for deferral if something happened with your pregnancy/delivery that you were not expecting, then I completely agree that any med school would be pretty darn ruthless to deny you :)

well I got an invite to the interview :) so the game is on. I have made up my mind about the whole thing. I will include my son in the discussion but I will not mention my pregnancy. The interview is on March 3rd, so I will still be able to hide my belly. I understand why some of you may think it's dishonest, but I think it could open a door to a discussion I don't want to have. As for the person who thinks I shouldn't apply because I may ask for a defferal, what if something happenned and I lost my child? Or what if I have my baby early and don't have to ask for a deferal? It's too big of a gamble for me to not apply and go with it. Like I said before, that'll be a whole new decision to make if I get an offer of admission. Congrats to all of you who got an invite.

As for the person who thinks I shouldn't apply because I may ask for a deferral, what if something happenned and I lost my child?

...Not to belabour this, lol, but clobliss...as I said

Obviously if you fully intend on starting med school in September and would only ask for deferral if something happened with your pregnancy/delivery that you were not expecting, then I completely agree that any med school would be pretty darn ruthless to deny you.

IF something happens with your pregnancy that is unexpected, then I totally agree with you deferring!! My problem would just be if you were applying right now, already knowing that you completely planned on asking for a deferral even if all went perfectly with your pregnancy....which is what it sounded like you were going to do based on your earlier posts. Your later posts have sounded different, so I am on your side :)

Anyway...I wish you luck on the interview and hopefully all goes wonderfully with your pregnancy so you won't end up needing to think about deferring at all!

I have two small children and I am not about to hide this from anyone. In fact, the shcools already know. I see it as a major asset. I figure why not disclose this? It makes me who I am and will have an influence on my capability as a physician. I have absolutely nothing to lose - already being one of the (statistically) least likely applicants to get an interview.:P

I have two small children and I am not about to hide this from anyone. In fact, the shcools already know. I see it as a major asset. I figure why not disclose this? It makes me who I am and will have an influence on my capability as a physician. I have absolutely nothing to lose - already being one of the (statistically) least likely applicants to get an interview.:P

Why are you statistically one of the least likely applicants to get an interview? I'm sure your life experience/extracurriculars did it for you? I have 2young kids too....and got an interview at UBC.

Why are you statistically one of the least likely applicants to get an interview? I'm sure your life experience/extracurriculars did it for you? I have 2young kids too....and got an interview at UBC.

I say this because when I examine who gets a spot at med schools - based on the data the schools give out and based on a couple of studies published in the CMAJ in the past few years - that I am at the bottom of the list. This is not to say that my experience doesn't count. I can already see that my degrees and life experience are a great asset. I'm just not one of the people that were highlighted in the statistics.

Archived