Premed 101 Forums

Girlfriend Matching in CarMS

I'm just wondering whether anybody had any information offhand for CaRMS for American citizens. My girlfriend is currently a third year at UMichigan Ann Arbor, wanting to come to Canada for residency (specifically Toronto).

Impossible? I was looking at the IMG statistics (which I think she falls under) and none of them in the second iteration matched to Toronto.

I'm just wondering whether anybody had any information offhand for CaRMS for American citizens. My girlfriend is currently a third year at UMichigan Ann Arbor, wanting to come to Canada for residency (specifically Toronto).

Impossible? I was looking at the IMG statistics (which I think she falls under) and none of them in the second iteration matched to Toronto.

Hi there,

The statistics for last year will be different from the statistics for this coming year. Reason being, this was the first year that Canada officially welcomed IMGs to Canada in their own, separate match process. Now, not all provinces have embraced this move (Alberta is one such province) but Ontario has. Thus, many if not all Ontario schools are offering spots in many programs to IMGs. That being said, from what news has been released of the residency process thus far, the competition for IMG spots seems to be fierce. On the upside though, someone's got to take that spot, so why not your girlfriend?

Cheers,

Kirsteen

What's she looking to apply for?

I think that grads of American schools (LCME accredited) match in the same pool as Canadian grads (ie they are not considered IMG's), however, you have to be either a Canadian citizen or permanent resident. http://www.carms.ca/eng/r1_eligibility_e.shtml

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

On a related thread, my partner is also not Canadian but is studying medicine in Ireland. Can anyone give me some advice on applying for residency in Canada for a person in this situation. Will we have to apply for permanent residency before my partner can apply for residency through CARMS...? Thanks,

H

Archived