Premed 101 Forums

School Prestige and Residency Matching

thanks tarzi.. that helped

but it still seems kind of uncertain... I guess everyones expereicne varies.

But basically, I guess we can conclude that it WILL be hard getting the H1B visa to stay in the states, but it is not impossible, you jsut have to be great.

So, i'm wondering what most ppl that are Canadian citizens US med school grads, end up doing.. do they come back to canada b/c they can't get the residency they want in the states? or does it end up working out for them...

I'm not really expecting anyone to know that.. but it's be interesting to hear.

St. Louis is not THAT bad a place to live. There are much worse places in North America to live. Of course there is much to be improved on here in STL.

Sorry - I'm sure STL is a great place to live. What I meant was an American city worthy forking over the absurd US tuition instead of staying in a more boring, cold and bleak Canadian city at a fraction of the cost. For me the only cities which come close are NY, Boston, SF and SD. I'm sure there are others I just haven't visited yet :)

Hmmm...interesting conversation. I was a J-1 student in the US (I had just finished my 3rd year of undergrad in Canada) for a summer internship a few years back. J-1 is incredibly easy to get, much easier than F-1. For my situation, I had to profusely show evidence that I will NOT remain in the US, but return to Canada once my internship was over. In my case, it was easy to proof coz i had to return to Canada to finish my degree.

Wow, that's good to know. I know I will have a very hard time proving that I will return to Canada, because I have no family here. Considering that I'd be interested in doing rural med and J-1's get a break for that in the US, and that J-1 is easier to get, this may be the best way to go.

I gotta investigate this further.

thanks tarzi.. that helped

but it still seems kind of uncertain... I guess everyones expereicne varies.

But basically, I guess we can conclude that it WILL be hard getting the H1B visa to stay in the states, but it is not impossible, you jsut have to be great.

So, i'm wondering what most ppl that are Canadian citizens US med school grads, end up doing.. do they come back to canada b/c they can't get the residency they want in the states? or does it end up working out for them...

I'm not really expecting anyone to know that.. but it's be interesting to hear.

indeed, i would like to know as well.

So what if you came back to Canada..what are your chances of getting a competitive speciality? I think I read that the Canadian students are matched first then the ones who studied in the states, and then the rest.

So is it likely that your only chance is to become a family doc if you study in the states or is that not the case?

So what if you came back to Canada..what are your chances of getting a competitive speciality? I think I read that the Canadian students are matched first then the ones who studied in the states, and then the rest.

So is it likely that your only chance is to become a family doc if you study in the states or is that not the case?

new rules. canadian and american grads are matched at the same time. also FMG (not american grads).

I think you will have pretty good shot at a good residency. my school matched 3 ppl in canadian residencies. pretty competitive ones to boot.

thanks for the response

I'm confused tho.. are you saying ppl graduating form interantional med schools (like UK, ireland carib etc) are matched at the same time as canadians?

yes. however getting interviews at competitive places is a different issue. American and Canadians MGs on the most are equal, especially if you went to somewhat "known" school.

Also, where did u get the info about yoru school matching 3 ppl to canadian residencies?

Is this available on the websites or?

yes, all matchlist from all schools you will find on the web. Google or use SDN, which has a very good compiled list..

SDN match list composition for all American schools

UVM 2006 match list

hope this helps

Archived