Premed 101 Forums

Do American schools want to hear....

Sharpie*

Do American schools want to hear that a Canadian student is planning on doing their residency and their practice in the United States (I'm asking this question with Hopkins in mind)? Seems to me that they would not want to educate a doctor who is just going to leave their country when they're done.

Thanks!

Do American schools want to hear that a Canadian student is planning on doing their residency and their practice in the United States (I'm asking this question with Hopkins in mind)? Seems to me that they would not want to educate a doctor who is just going to leave their country when they're done.

Thanks!

Most of my interviewers were so full of themselves...that they presumed the only place you could really practice medicine was in US of A :)

lol he is obviously retarded coz France is Da bomb baby! Zidane forever!!!!!

Hehehe, it was a she, and it actually stemmed from a conversation we had had....about how in Russia women's soccer is practically non-existent and how much I liked playing in the US.

I mean, I know people say dumb sh!t a lot, I'm sure similar things have come out of MY mouth before; however, this was WRITTEN, so she put some thought into it, scribbled it down, and then had that lunch box sitting there for hours until the game was over to give it to me, and apparently not once did she think that her inscription was offensive.:rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks!

Do you think that PD and hospitals accept Canadian residents to their fellowship programs with the expectation that they will practice in the US? I don't think so. Do graduate schools accept students from China with the expectation that all these PhDs will stay in the US afterwards? No.

Networking and having alumni across the world is something that all schools wish to do.

To allow someone with different life experiences and a different perspective (diversity that is gained by admitting a Canadian student) is seen as desirable. If you have the potential (for hopkins this will mean good gpa, mcat, and research) to enrich the educational environment of the school, they'll take you - regardless if you stay in the US or not. Going to hopkins will also give you an educational experience that you cannot receive in Canada, as there is no equivalent to the school or to baltimore - this is what they can offer you. Finally, after you've been educated and have got all this great experience, you can come back to Canada and hopefully put to use what you learned at hopkins - you now also serve as a connection for hopkins to whatever school/residency program you are at.

Archived