Premed 101 Forums

Applying for a Green Card

Is it possible to get sponsored for a green card while on a visa as a med student in the US?

so that by the tiem residencies roll around, i'll be considered a permanent resident

Like... getting relatives in the US to sponsor you or something? lol

only way you can get it other than the employer giving it to you...is marrying an american or joining the army

oh by the way... I am single!!!!!!!! any americans girls here? lol

REALLY??? you cant put your name in the lottery if you're canadian?

Yeah. Can't do it if you're Russian, either.

The whole idea of the lottery is to "increase diversity," and so people from nations who constitute a large # of the immigrant pool are not allowed to apply.

Sponsorship from a relative is a good way to go. It has to be a close relative though. If your parents, siblings, and grandparents are in Canada and yet you are trying to claim "family reunion" with a 3rd cousin in the US, you might as well not try.

Say, I got a grandfather there and before I could do anything about a family reunion claim, I'd have to wait till my mother gets her green card and moves there.

If you have a close friend of the opposite gender, marriage is another option. It takes a good 2 years from the date you marry to the date you get a green card, but it means that if you do it fast, you'll have it by the time you are ready to apply for a residency.

You have to be really committed for this, though. They are pretty anal about investigating the legitimacy of your relationship. You have to realize that you will have to live with this person for a few years, share your finances (which means that the individual has to be very trustworthy), etc. An anekdote from the 90s - a friend of my grandfather's did this, she married a businessman from the UAE who happened to be a US citizen as well. He'd often be gone to the UAE for as long as 6 months at a time. There was no romantic relationship there at all, so she continued to date other men, and in fact, oftentimes while her "husband" was gone, she'd have a boyfriend move into the apartment.

Anyway, one night she and her boyfriend were hanging out at home and someone rang the bell at like 11:30 at night. It was the INS to do a check on her. So her boyfriend ran out into the garage and hid there, and they came into the apartment and started interrogating her about her "husband," whether she knew where he was, etc. Then they did a search of her apartment looking for signs of male presence. Since her BF had been living with her, male clothes were all over the place, so the INS left satisfied - not realizing the clothes were about 10 sizes too small for the guy who she was married to.:D

In a more mundane manner, they recruit your neighbors and such as reporters, so oftentimes your neighbors will be asked to confirm that the 2 of you have been taking vacations together, were seen kissing in public, etc, etc.

So, it's quite a commitment, but if you have a trustworthy friend and a good amount of cash to subsidize them in return for the favor, it can be done.

I meant to ask if you are on a J1 visa, will your 2 years of marriage count towards the thing? Or will they start to count the 2 years after your visa expires?

That's not how it works.....marriage and length of stay are two different paths towards getting it. One doesn't hinder the other.

2 years is an approximate time, as well. It heavily depends on the state, as some states have very high immigration levels and they are backed up in processing times. Think New York and Florida vs. Utah and Wyoming. Some places you can get one in 6 months, others might take more than 2 years. However, there IS some length of time you must spend in the marriage, because if you divorce too soon, your green card will be revoked. I'm not positive on what that time period is, but I'm sure you could find out on the internet.

It doesn't matter how long you stayed in the US before you got married, because that's not why you get a green card through marriage. You could've spent 5 years there or could've crossed the border for the first time the night before, it doesn't matter.

Regarding that military path to U.S. citizenship, I am sure they do allow it. Of course they are going to reject 'enemies' - like if an Iraqi claims he'll be a soldier for a green card. But they are so desperate to get people into the army and stick a gun in their hands they'll do anything. Why do you think the soldiers get paid so much? Its to attract people to put their life on the line, and do whatever agenda the politicians have set for them.

Also, with regards to the diversity path. I know it is possible to do it even if you are a Canadian citizen. Maybe its because I'm 'ethnic' and was born outside of Canada, but my family has been applying in the diversity lottery for a couple of years now (with no luck, clearly).

Also, I am in cue for the sponsorship method since I have an uncle in the U.S. Its not a path that will help you - my family has been waiting in line for almost ten years now. On the brighter side, apparently we only have to wait two more years, since people who applied in 1994 are getting in now.

Also, I am in cue for the sponsorship method since I have an uncle in the U.S. Its not a path that will help you - my family has been waiting in line for almost ten years now. On the brighter side, apparently we only have to wait two more years, since people who applied in 1994 are getting in now.

Yup, takes forever. I think my mother applied in 1999 and 2005 was the first time she actually heard something from them. I think she passed the initial eval and the next step was to go through an interview....

Archived