Premed 101 Forums

"Intimidation"

Okay, so I've heard some rumours, and before I go ahead and ignorantly start believing them, I figured I should hear some more rumours about it to get a bigger sample size.

What I've heard is that, while some people have great interviews at U of T, others have experiences that are intimidating, even antagonistic. Reasons for this that have been given is that the interviewers want to see if "you can handle stress", or if "you can stay calm under pressure".

Again, I have no idea how much truth to this there is and I'm not saying I believe them, but thought some discussion on the subject might be interesting.

If the interviewer is antagonistic (this could be generalized to any school), what approaches do you think are appropriate for addressing, or ignoring, it?

me too... I guess it doesn't make much of a difference what we hear until we actually get there. I'm a little nervous... all I can think about is this thing!

Do you have a source of u of t questions? i cant seem to find anything on the internet anywhere. whens your interview btw?

I actually have not heard this and I have many friends there. The only thing I did hear was that they could persistently ask about something you said to see if you waiver on your position (stand your ground!).

Regarding questions, U of T is apparantly pretty standard in their questions. I googled med school interview questions and compiled a list. but they are the usual ones: why dr., tell aboiut self, strengths/weaknesses, etc. Nothing too exciting.

What I've heard is that, while some people have great interviews at U of T, others have experiences that are intimidating, even antagonistic.
Relax, it's just a rumour. There's no reason why interviewers at U of T would be intentionally hostile, and it's definitely not part of the official interview process. Of course, at any school you could get an interviewer who has a personality that clashes with yours so you don't end up having a smooth interview. At U of T, all interviews are audio-taped so if you think that your interviewers were being intentionally antagonistic or intimidating, or otherwise inappropriate, you can complain and the tapes can be reviewed.

Just a rumour

I have had many friends do interviews at U of T. They can't really talk about things but they said they try their best to make the person feel comfortable. Yes be confident and they may see if they can waive you on your opinion but they are not there to make you feel stressed. U of T may have some stress based questions but they do not make their interview completely stress based.

Good to hear some positive things re: interviews. I've also heard that their questions are pretty standard, and the comments on the U of T admissions site put together by the med students seems to suggest that the interviewers like to hear more about what you put in your essay and sketch. Elaboration, I guess, about who you are and what you've done.

(Katerade, my interview is this Sunday, the 11th.)

I didn't apply to U of T med school, so I can't speak about their interviews specifically. I have been through my med school, CaRMS and fellowship interviews, as well as acted as an INTERVIEWER for med school, CaRMS and cardiology fellowship... so I know a lot about interviewing :)

Sometimes hostility during an interview is intended to see how you will react in a stressful situation. I personally don't agree with this method of interviewing, but I have seen it used. The best thing to do is remain calm and retain your focus. Never raise your voice with the interviewer even if you are really angry. If you find yourself getting flustered, just take a few deep breaths and regroup. Remember, certain topics are OFF LIMITS - ie. race, religion, marital/partnership status, etc. If someone brings up these issues, you are within your right to tell them it is inappropriate.

Sometimes "hostility" is merely perceived. During CaRMS, I co-interviewed with several attendings. After working with them for 3 years, I knew them very well. Some have personalities that can seem gruff or abrupt, but underneath they are very nice and well-intentioned people. During the interviews, I could tell that they were (unintentionally) flustering and intimidating some of the applicants with their abrupt mannerisms. If you find yourself feeling this way, don't take it personally. It might just be the personality of your interviewer.

I was surprised during my U of T CaRMS interview and my UBC cardio interview when I was asked knowledge-based questions. Usually the interviews are not knowledge-based (at least not for IM and cardio), and although they were easy questions, I was thrown a bit off guard. I guess this won't be an issue for med school interviews, though.

good luck and stay calm :)

Out of all the schools that I have interviewed at, I would say UofT interview is the most relaxed one. It was probably the only interview that I had where they didn't have standardized questions and really let you speak your mind. When I went into my UofT interview, I told them straight out I was nervous and they did everything they could to make me relaxed. In the end, the style of the interview at UofT is pretty much dictated by your personality and your sincerity. If everything you have done so far (academic, extracurricular, research etc etc) is an accurate reflection of who you really are, the interviewers will have no reason to antagonise with you. Bottom line: Be yourself!

For those of you that are keen on stats, I will throw some out there. My interview was an hour long (15 minutes over time), and my interviewers had all the informations about me (including my transcript marks, not just GPA) except for my MCAT scores. From a short survey I gathered from the class, most people that got in as an undergrad had their interviews in Feb. Half of the applicants I met during the Feb. interview were actaully non-Toronto residents and OOP students. I know the relevance of the dates/months of the interview is a hot debate, so I thought I just throw that out there.

UTGuru

For those of you that are keen on stats, I will throw some out there. My interview was an hour long (15 minutes over time), and my interviewers had all the informations about me (including my transcript marks, not just GPA) except for my MCAT scores. From a short survey I gathered from the class, most people that got in as an undergrad had their interviews in Feb. Half of the applicants I met during the Feb. interview were actaully non-Toronto residents and OOP students. I know the relevance of the dates/months of the interview is a hot debate, so I thought I just throw that out there.

From having been involved with admissions last year I can tell you that date of interview has no impact on your chances of admission. The only thing an early interview indicates is that your file was reviewed earlier.

From talking to interviewees in previous years, the vast majority report that their interview was very relaxed, casual and conversational. There is the odd interviewer who becomes a bit confrontational. I know some of my classmates had confrontational interviews, so it definitely is not a sign that your interview went poorly.

Regarding the issue of intimidation...

People's feelings and opinions are partially determined by what they say, act, etc. So if an interviewer pretends to be angry or confrontational, the act may psychologically skew their opinions of the candidate. How realistic do you think my theory is?

Regarding the issue of intimidation...

People's feelings and opinions are partially determined by what they say, act, etc. So if an interviewer pretends to be angry or confrontational, the act may psychologically skew their opinions of the candidate. How realistic do you think my theory is?

Unrealistic. I think you may have it backwards. I think my opinions and feelings may be influenced by someone elses actions, however, my own actions I think are a manifestation of my feelings and opinions. My feelings and opinions aren't a manifestation of my actions...that doesn't make sense to me in that order.

Unrealistic. I think you may have it backwards. I think my opinions and feelings may be influenced by someone elses actions, however, my own actions I think are a manifestation of my feelings and opinions. My feelings and opinions aren't a manifestation of my actions...that doesn't make sense to me in that order.

Heh, not to be nit picky, as I mostly agree with you. But I do believe there are studies that have shown that the way you act, the things you say, how you deliberately do things can affect your mood and feelings. Unfortunately, I can't quote the exact studies, but I'm sure a psych major could help in this regard.

I kinda look forward to an interview that will be intimidating. I'm sure if that starts to happen, I'm going to break out in a goofy smile cause I'll know exactly what they're trying to do...or maybe I won't notice what's going on, I'll panic and starting pit staining...crap now i'm nervous...

Heh, not to be nit picky, as I mostly agree with you. But I do believe there are studies that have shown that the way you act, the things you say, how you deliberately do things can affect your mood and feelings. Unfortunately, I can't quote the exact studies, but I'm sure a psych major could help in this regard.

I kinda look forward to an interview that will be intimidating. I'm sure if that starts to happen, I'm going to break out in a goofy smile cause I'll know exactly what they're trying to do...or maybe I won't notice what's going on, I'll panic and starting pit staining...crap now i'm nervous...

Ya..but in an interview, you are responding to OTHER peoples actions, not your own.

Having been through interviews and other stressful situations in which one is "performing" and being evaluated (e.g. OSCEs), I think it is really important to have self awareness. Obviously, you will be responding to the reactions of your interviewers. And it is important to be aware of the image you are presenting and to act appropriately (i.e. laugh if something funny happens, be serious when discussing something grave). But, you may be surprised at the effect your own behavioural responses may have on your cognitive abilities. Do not underestimate the ability of a tough or uncomfortable discussion to elicit a sympathetic response. Feeling your face flush and hands tremble in front of the interviewers may not only influence your ability to forumulate coherent answers, but may alter your mood (hence all the folks who have cried in OSCEs). So, behaviour can affect your feelings after all.

Be prepared to speak intelligently on anything in your application. If you mention a particular book, be prepared to answer questions about it. if you started your essay, "Dignity:....." or used a particular theme/word frequently, be prepared to be asked about it. My interview was pretty relaxed, though I was asked one really odd question I couldn't answer. I simply said, "Can I have a few seconds?" took some time then said "I'm sorry, it slips my mind at the moment." If you need to take time, ask for it. It will be better to compose a response than to blabber on for 2 or 3 minutes. And it's true about sticking to your guns and being able to explain why you have taken a position.

Be prepared to speak intelligently on anything in your application. If you mention a particular book, be prepared to answer questions about it. if you started your essay, "Dignity:....." or used a particular theme/word frequently, be prepared to be asked about it. My interview was pretty relaxed, though I was asked one really odd question I couldn't answer. I simply said, "Can I have a few seconds?" took some time then said "I'm sorry, it slips my mind at the moment." If you need to take time, ask for it. It will be better to compose a response than to blabber on for 2 or 3 minutes. And it's true about sticking to your guns and being able to explain why you have taken a position.

I agree with this. I was asked about 2 of my least significant experiences from my sketch. and it was not just "tell me about this experience". i was actually asked several questions about these experiences. One of which occurred almost 10 years ago!! Be prepared!

Archived