Premed 101 Forums

Why Manitoba?

our 2 pre-clerkship years are divided into 6 blocks - there are 3 blocks per year. our first 2 blocks are from sept to jan, and they're quite a bit easier than blocks 3, 4, 5, and 6 from what i've heard. the first block is alot of basic science stuff (alittle bit of anatomy, micro, physiology, etc) and pop. health, whle the 2nd block is composed of stuff like peds, geriatrics, psychology, and psychiatry. generally not as "hard" or voluminous as the stuff in other blocks. many see these first 2 blocks as time to **** around until 3rd block starts. we just started our 3rd block a couple of weeks ago and already, many in our class are already starting to study, myself included. this is in contrast to the other blocks, where a good chunk of us didnt study till a few weeks before the exam.

Also our clerks are generally regarded as some of the most well prepared clerks by the time it comes to residency matching. This is because they like to adopt a 'throw you into the fire' sort of approach where once you are a clerk you are loaded with tons and tons of responsibility and have an opportunity to partake in lots of procedures and be placed in situations other schools might now allow.

I also have heard that U of M grads rank consistently the highest with regards to board exams. I'm not sure where people got this from and have not seen the statistics myself.

We also have many state of the art research medically related facilities too. We have something called the national virology lab, which is essentially Canada's version of the Center for Disease Control (CDC). If infectious diseases and microbiology are your interest, google that place to learn more about it.

Also our clerks are generally regarded as some of the most well prepared clerks by the time it comes to residency matching. This is because they like to adopt a 'throw you into the fire' sort of approach where once you are a clerk you are loaded with tons and tons of responsibility and have an opportunity to partake in lots of procedures and be placed in situations other schools might now allow.

I also have heard that U of M grads rank consistently the highest with regards to board exams. I'm not sure where people got this from and have not seen the statistics myself.

We also have many state of the art research medically related facilities too. We have something called the national virology lab, which is essentially Canada's version of the Center for Disease Control (CDC). If infectious diseases and microbiology are your interest, google that place to learn more about it.

Actually, it's the National Microbiology Lab. Also, Manitoba is probably one of the leading centres in the world for Cardiology, and I believe they were the first ones to obtain a Gamma Knife in Canada.

We also have a pass/fail grading system for the first two years and it really does make a difference. Everyone is super supportive and willing to help each other out. Pair that with what was previously mentioned about the first two blocks, and it's good times. Has anyone mentioned that we party a lot? ;)

The faculty is super supportive, there's a lot of opportunities for early exposures, lots of free pizza and various other food, lots of extracurricular options, and the hospital is in an area where you have the chance to see some crazy stuff.

There's also a couple summer programs set up by the U, like the SWEAT program and the BSc Med. SWEAT is rural-y/remote clinical experience which is good since in those types of places you can see/do a lot. The BSc Med program is where you do research for the summers between years 1-2 and 2-3.

Wow - sounds good to me man. I'm gettin quite excited about this school now...I'm OOP interviewee folks...let's hope it works out for me.

Do you know what the grading is like for clerkship? Will it be scaled - ex. only 25% of students can get honors?

In clerkship there is an exam at the end of every six week rotation except for family and multiple service rotation. There isn't honors, but you do have the option of releasing your marks if you want to apply to a super competitive specialty that demands you to release your marks.

oh yeah. one other great part... the med campus houses a nice and convenient gym. its basically in the same building as where we learn, so it makes it so that you really have no excuse to keep in shape. as well, lots of the guys from class will skip lectures and will play pick ups games of basketball or floor hockey or soccer or whatevs, and i dunno if that'd be possible in other campuses, where the gyms would be located further away.

Archived