Premed 101 Forums

Get yourself an immigration lawyer

Jochi1543

Since a lot of us seem to be agonizing over visa stuff, waivers, restrictions, etc, I figured I would mention the fact that there is a large # of lawyers in the US who specialize in immigration. I for one happen to be hooked up with one who deals specifically with highly trained individuals (through my grandfather, a world-renowned NASA scientist who had a HELL of a time getting work visas, then a green card, etc), but may later look for one dealing specifically with medical students and graduates.

You've got a lot at stake, and it's worth it to drop 1 or 2 thousand dollars on the advice of an individual who's been thoroughly trained in this area and may be aware of loopholes that you have never heard of. Moreover, immigration laws change very frequently, especially these days, and what worked for your friend who was in the process 2 years ago may not work for you today. It's good to have an expert on your speed dial.

Since a lot of us seem to be agonizing over visa stuff, waivers, restrictions, etc, I figured I would mention the fact that there is a large # of lawyers in the US who specialize in immigration. I for one happen to be hooked up with one who deals specifically with highly trained individuals (through my grandfather, a world-renowned NASA scientist who had a HELL of a time getting work visas, then a green card, etc), but may later look for one dealing specifically with medical students and graduates.

You've got a lot at stake, and it's worth it to drop 1 or 2 thousand dollars on the advice of an individual who's been thoroughly trained in this area and may be aware of loopholes that you have never heard of. Moreover, immigration laws change very frequently, especially these days, and what worked for your friend who was in the process 2 years ago may not work for you today. It's good to have an expert on your speed dial.

u got someone to reccommend?

u got someone to reccommend?

I don't have one specializing in med students/IMGs....

I could probably give you the info for my grandfather's lawyer.....but I don't have it on me, so I need to go dig through my stuff to find it (my grandfather and I don't talk much, so I would strongly prefer not to call him to ask).

I don't have one specializing in med students/IMGs....

I could probably give you the info for my grandfather's lawyer.....but I don't have it on me, so I need to go dig through my stuff to find it (my grandfather and I don't talk much, so I would strongly prefer not to call him to ask).

lol - it's ok. I though you might've been good friends or something with the lawyer, b/c i'd rather get referred to one through word of mouth, than through the internet ads...

lol - it's ok. I though you might've been good friends or something with the lawyer, b/c i'd rather get referred to one through word of mouth, than through the internet ads...

Yeah, I'm not "good friends" with her, got some advice from her back in the days, but for the last couple of years I didn't need a lawyer, so I haven't spoken to her in a while.

I would probably call her and ask her for a referral to one specializing in med students/IMGs anyway.

For those who do consult a lawyer or other professional regarding the visa situation, could "ya'll" be kind of enough to post what recommendations you received. I'll post up anything I discover.

Besides the immigration stuff for doing a medical undergrad, don't forget your residency, post-doc training and finally the prospects of actually working there.

For those who do consult a lawyer or other professional regarding the visa situation, could "ya'll" be kind of enough to post what recommendations you received. I'll post up anything I discover.

Besides the immigration stuff for doing a medical undergrad, don't forget your residency, post-doc training and finally the prospects of actually working there.

Yeah, the undergrad's the easy part.

Archived