Premed 101 Forums

Why doesn't anybody respond?

Guest drwannabe

Guest drwannabe

Has anyone on this forum ordered a transcript? If so, please let me know if there is going to be a note with regards to droped and petitioned courses on the transcript or not.

Thanks

• 1 month later...
Guest Unknown

</username>
		<dateline>1118448000</dateline>
		<title>Unknown</title>
		<pagetext>(This

(This post is missing and can not be restored)</pagetext>

</post>

<post>

<thread>Y</thread>

<threadtitle>What ECs have you done and which ones did you like most?</threadtitle>

<threadviews>0</threadviews>

<threadsticky>0</threadsticky>

<poll></poll>

<username>Jochi1543</username>

<dateline>1114133760</dateline>

<title>What ECs have you done and which ones did you like most?</title>

<pagetext>Just for fun and to get some ideas on what would be cool to try - why don't we share what we've done for extracurriculars in college and how valuable that experience was.

I guess I'll start with stuff I actually got paid for:

1) I worked as an office assistant at the German/Russian department at our school and tutored both languages for 2 years besides the regular office work. It was really low-key, I had tons of time to do homework, so it was a great choice of a part-time job for school. Plus I got to know some cool profs whose classes I took later (I took some German).

2) I worked at the student housing office full-time for one summer and part-time for a semester. It was pretty busy, especially at the end of summer when calls from admitted freshmen started coming in and I had to work overtime. I found that experience valuable because I had to deal with a lot of distressed and angry students and parents who were for whatever reason dissatisfied with our operations and sometimes went to the extent of cussing out at me, etc. So I definitely gained some conflict resolution skills and the job helped me become more patient. Plus I was in the middle of everything cool that was going on on campus - I knew about all student orgs, events, etc. Unfortunately, I had to quit because my next semester was very challenging academically and I decided I'd be better off without a job.

3) I worked at the school post office....Worst job ever. There is ALWAYS work which is not cool during exam time, the work is almost always standing, so you get pretty tired, and just as the joke goes, most of the people working there are total freaks.

4) I had a paid summer internship at a logistics company down South (I'm in the US), where I literally did nothing, but the pay was good. I can still use the job description on my resume, but really, it was pretty useless - just an opportunity to travel somewhere different for the summer and make some cash.

And now stuff I didn't get paid for and maybe even had to pay for:

1) I had a fall semester internship at an affordable housing non-profit, part of a requirement for a class on the same topic. My main task was to draft a document educating community business leaders on the issue of affordable housing, and it was a total pain in the ass. I had to do immense amounts of research, and I'd have to call like 10 people before I got 1 person to agree to explain me what they do. I got a taste of non-profit work, and it was cool to meet people who were so passionate about what they did, despite the low pay. But at the same time, I sensed a lack of competitiveness among employees, and was surprised at the very high turnover rate. This confirmed to me that non-profit field was not really where I wanted to go.

2) I taught English as a Second Language to adult Latino immigrants as a volunteer for 1 semester (3-hour commitment 2x a week). I quit largely because of the serious time commitment, which unfortunately sometimes proved useless. I was an assistant to the paid teacher, who sometimes would not prepare any work for me and would just use me as a conversation partner in dialogues. The rest of the time I was just sitting there doing nothing. I also felt like the male students were too preoccupied with my appearance (whistling, flirting, etc seriously got on my nerves after a while). I felt a sense of relief when I left the job.

3) I've been volunteering at a community family planning clinic for the last 2 years. I love the job to death, the people are very cool, everyone's extremely friendly to each other, and there are a lot of young people working there. My job is pretty cool, I do patient counseling on topics ranging from birth control methods to abortion to various medical procedures. The clinic gives us quite a bit of responsibility - in the past, I've provided assistance to a rape victim who was extremely distress and have broken pregnancy news to a crying 14-year old who I later referred for an abortion. There's only one MD there and several NPs and a PA, who are all very cooperative and willing to teach us anything and let us view their work - I've watched pelvic exams, PAPs and all that. I consider this to be my most valuable experience.

4) I volunteered full-time for 3 months at a large hospital. I had 3 months of downtime because I was going on study abroad and the semester there started 2 months after it started at our school, and I didn't have a work permit. I was a float, filling in for people who couldn't make it to work, so I was trained in a variety of jobs, none of which were too exciting or demanding. I liked the people I worked with, and there was little stress, so for lack of any other possibilities, it wasn't too bad. I guess having those 300 hours on my resume is pretty good, but honestly, I don't feel like I've learned much from the job, so I wouldn't necessarily recommend it to someone. Try a community clinic instead - they will have an easier time meeting your specific needs when it comes to work.

5) I volunteered for a senator campaign, mostly visiting places such as retirement homes and educating voters about my senator's program, as well as calling people. As a native Russian speaker, I dealt mostly with Russian immigrants. Unfortunately, this lasted for a short time, as my senator tragically died a week before the election. I enjoyed this job as I truly respected the man and agreed with everything he fought for, but I haven't found a politician who would motivate me like that since. However, if I ever find a political campaign which I agree with almost completely, I will gladly do this again. Feeling like I was doing my part to make other people's lives better through politics was definitely a thrill.

6) I belong to our college's campus investment group. We have a pool of money that we are free to invest into whatever we want. We meet twice a week and present various stocks/bonds/etc than vote and pick one to buy. I became involved in this organization as a former Economics major, both to beef up my resume and because I found myself interested in capital markets. I enjoy the group and haven't left it despite dropping the economics major, it's just an interest I have and it allows me to socialize with people outside of the pre-med field.

That's all I can think about now, as far as continuous activities go.

What about you?

Guest Unknown

</username>
		<title>Unknown</title>
		<pagetext>(This

</post>

<post>

<thread>N</thread>

<threadtitle>Why doesn't anybody respond?</threadtitle>

<poll></poll>

<username>

Unknown

</username>

<title>Unknown</title>

<pagetext>(This post is missing and can not be restored)

Guest Unknown

</username>
		<title>Unknown</title>
		<pagetext>(This

</post>

<post>

<thread>N</thread>

<poll></poll>

<username>

Unknown

</username>

<title>Unknown</title>

Guest Unknown

</username>
		<title>Unknown</title>
		<pagetext>(This

</post>

<post>

<thread>N</thread>

<poll></poll>

<username>

Unknown

</username>

<title>Unknown</title>

Guest Unknown

</username>
		<title>Unknown</title>
		<pagetext>(This

</post>

<post>

<thread>N</thread>

<poll></poll>

<username>

Unknown

</username>

<title>Unknown</title>

Guest Unknown

</username>
		<title>Unknown</title>
		<pagetext>(This

</post>

<post>

<thread>N</thread>

<threadtitle>What ECs have you done and which ones did you like most?</threadtitle>

<poll></poll>

<username>

Unknown

</username>

<title>Unknown</title>

Archived