Premed 101 Forums

Bad vibes....

tallguy408

What can you do if you walk into your interview, and one of the interviewers immediately triggers your "spidey-sense"? I mean, you just get the feeling that the person is going to be so hard on you, or is generally disinterested in the interview, seems overly sleepy etc.

Do you have to just sit and take it? Or can you request a different interviewer? I know you can and should if you know one of the people interviewing you, but what if you just don't want one of the interviewers? :confused:

What can you do if you walk into your interview, and one of the interviewers immediately triggers your "spidey-sense"? I mean, you just get the feeling that the person is going to be so hard on you, or is generally disinterested in the interview, seems overly sleepy etc.

Do you have to just sit and take it? Or can you request a different interviewer? I know you can and should if you know one of the people interviewing you, but what if you just don't want one of the interviewers? :confused:

first of all, your spidey sense could be completely off believe it or not. e.g., at my last interview, my spidey sense was tingling for the physician and not the med student. in the end, physician was a lot more receptive than the med student to my answers!

"sit and take it". it sounds like you are giving in. just continue to be yourself, but don't be defensive. don't raise your voice. don't become upset. take a small breath. stay cool, calm and collected, which voicing your opinion or justifying your argument...whatever he may disagree with you on.

i would never request another interviewer! in fact, sometimes, these interviewers WANT to see how you can interview under stress. if, however, you feel the interviewer was being inappropriate in anyway (questions, behaviour etc.) then i would definately mention it after your interview to an admissions staff member around. but use your judgement, was he/she really being unfair? are you being over-sensitive?

in terms of interviewers, you just have to hope for the best, but be prepared for the worst. i think the very worst are few and far between, so i wouldn't stress about it too much. you just have to continue to be yourself and shine through. continue to make eye contact and be engaging, even if you feel as though you are talking to a statue who couldn't care less.

i personally know a physician who interviews at uoft. believe me, he comes across as so scary to me whenever i meet him... but that's just an exterior. he really means well, even if he doesn't portray that. so if someone doesn't seem to interested in you, or isn't as engaging as you'd like, don't take it too personally. that might be a part of their nature, but that doesn't necessarily mean they don't think you are great!

I think most schools stipulate that if you felt your interview was unfair, you can file a complaint AFTERWARDS, which if the school agrees with you, may result in another interview. I believe Toronto , for example, says it tapes all interviews and will review the tapes in the event of a complaint. And UBC asks for all complaints asap (within 2 days or something?) so they can organize another interview.

But I think "unfair" refers to things like being asked about your race or religion or sexual history or something way out of line like that. "Unfair" doesn't refer to "I felt he didn't like me and I want another chance."

Since you are to complain after the fact, I would suggest you do the best you can in the interview. And then think about it afterwards. In the cool light of day, you may realize that you were just being sensitive. Then you'll be glad that at least you tried your best.

As someone who has been an INTERVIEWER for med school, CaRMS, and fellowships, I can tell you that sometimes your sense will be "off".

A couple of people that I interviewed with for CaRMS are very kind people with good intentions, but they come off being abrupt and unfriendly. I had known these people throughout my residency, and knew what they were really like, but the applicants did not have that advantage. I could tell that my co-interviewers were making some of the applicants nervous and flustered. Additionally, some people do try to "throw" you a bit in the interview to see how you respond to a stressful situation.

If you say something or request a new interviewer in that sort of situation, you will only make things bad for yourself.

On the other hand, if your interviewer ever behaves inappropriately - ie. makes comments about gender, race, religion, sexual orientation, family background, etc., you have the right to tell them that is not appropriate, and to complain after your interview. If something like that occurs, it also gives you an idea that you probably don't really want to go to that school.

Good luck :)

On the other hand, if your interviewer ever behaves inappropriately - ie. makes comments about gender, race, religion, sexual orientation, family background, etc., you have the right to tell them that is not appropriate, and to complain after your interview. If something like that occurs, it also gives you an idea that you probably don't really want to go to that school.

Hi there,

During one of my medical school interviews I was interviewed by a bit of a grand fromage within the medical community, i.e., a Royal College-affiliated person. Within that interview, he was a bit of a naughty lad, i.e., he asked, "So what are your plans re: marriage and family and do you expect that to interfere with your medical education?"

There are handy ways of dealing with questions like these which are elegant yet not defensive nor offensive. Additionally, he was the sole one of a few interviewers who came out with the question, so I didn't view this as a negative reflection on the school. Rather, one interviewer who was curious and over-stepped his mark a wee bit. I didn't mention anything about this to the administration post-interview as I didn't take any particular offense to the question. Since I was still offered a spot at the school, I assume that my response didn't have that much of an impact on my overall admissions rating.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Kirsteen,

You are right, and I guess it depends on exactly what the question is, and how it is asked. I was asked exactly the same question during one of my cardiology interviews and managed to handle it alright.

Also, my IM program director is a great guy, but sometimes comes out with STRANGE things. He is not in the least bit racist, but had an annoying habit of asking all Muslim applicants which 'sect' of Islam they belonged to, and whether they were looking for a husband/wife (b/c Saskatoon has a small Muslim community, opportunities might be limited!). Whenever I co-interviewed with him, I would just CRINGE when I sensed these questions coming. Both myself and the program secretary reminded him a few times that it was inappropriate to ask such things.. and a couple of the applicants did complain!!! From what this year's chiefs tell me, he has been behaving better for this year's interviews.

I guess it happens...

During one of my medical school interviews I was interviewed by a bit of a grand fromage within the medical community, i.e., a Royal College-affiliated person. Within that interview, he was a bit of a naughty lad, i.e., he asked, "So what are your plans re: marriage and family and do you expect that to interfere with your medical education?"

How might one deal with a question like that? Would "I don't expect my personal life to interfere with my ability to study or practice medicine" be the best and most appropriate answer?

How might one deal with a question like that? Would "I don't expect my personal life to interfere with my ability to study or practice medicine" be the best and most appropriate answer?

I think it's a good answer.....support it with something like "I've encountered a few individuals in the medical field who are successful at balancing everything, and it appears to be achievable" or whatever. I would purposely stay away from disclosing any personal information. Say, for me personally it's not a concern because I very much do NOT want children and also don't spend hours dreaming about how my wedding will somehow culminate my existence, but I know the second I said something like this, it could be construed as me being a freak, since, well, girls are SUPPOSED to be dreaming about kids and marriage. There is a reason why these questions have become inappropriate/illegal.

I think this is an appropriate answer. It sounds a little bit standoff-ish, but this is likely because it is being written down. I doubt it would have the same tone if said in an interview situation.

I was asked this question at one of my cardio interviews (ironically by the only female interviewer on the panel).

I answered it by saying that although I don't have children, there have been many times where I have had to balance significant family/outside responsibilities with residency (I mentioned a few specific examples). I mentioned that my goal during fellowship was to become an excellent cardiologist, and I would not allow outside events to detract from this goal.

Must have been ok because I got an offer from that program.

Archived