Premed 101 Forums

weighting formula

Hmm... up until now, I just figured I was not eligible for the weighting formula but maybe....

What it says on the site is:

Applicants Who Have Taken Less than a Full Course Load

Applicants who have taken less than five full-courses (or 10 half-courses) in any given year will be considered on the average of all courses taken during the regular academic session. The weighting formula will not be applied.

Applicants who wish special consideration for weighting due to unusual circumstances should submit their request in writing supported by reasons. All requests for special consideration will be reviewed by the Admissions Committee, however, no decision will be released.

Does this mean that, if I take ONE semester with 4, instead of 5 classes, then I receive no weighting at all? or no weighting just for that year??

Also, in my first year, First semester: I took four classes weighing in at 14 credits (essentially, one credit short of a full load), and the next semester I took 5 classes weighing a total of 18 credits (or, the equivalent of 6 full classes)... does uft consider a 'full course load' over the course of one-year, or for a semester only?

They usually do it for the year. So if you were short one in sem one and took an extra in sem two you are fine. It does not work if you took the extra course in the summer or if you took it during the following year.

If there was one year that you were short then you are cancelled out of the weighting formula (I did that to myself...oops!)

Good luck

Honestly...i've taken 5 classes plus three labs on top of that ever since first year. Last term I had 5 classes plus a lab everyday (one of them was TAing). It was super hardcore because I had two pretty intense chemistry labs. This term, I have 5 courses and only 2 labs with an additional 1-hour tutorial per week. I feel like this is such a walk in the park for me.

This idea of not being able to take 5 courses I think is kind of bogus. I think if you want to take 5 courses, you will do what you need to get done to be successful. Someone people choose not to, even though they are more than capable, and that's cool, but I really think most people have the ability to take 5 courses...especially if you want to go in med. I think being able to handle that should prove to be no problem. I know a person who was taken 7 courses in the past...he's a genius...but still...

I know a person who was taken 7 courses in the past...he's a genius...but still...

very unpleasant come exam time, don't try it if you're in a hardcore program

6 is definitely manageable, many people in my program had to do it one semester

5 is extremely reasonable - most people I know takes 5, especially in first year

to the original poster, you're safe with the weighting formula

Archived